Anyone using Windows XP to output 4 monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FunMan, May 1, 2011.

1. FunMan

FunMan

In your XP, when you go to " System" what do you see? In my Win7, I see installed memory 4GB(2.75 usable).

#31     May 9, 2011
  2. Mine too. That's because of all my peripherals... 3 USB drives, 2 hard drives, 3 video cards (1.25GB VRAM), and a TV tuner. (On my other computers with only 1 video card, 1 hard drive, and no TV tuner, it shows 3.25GB usable.)

Is your W7, 32-bit?

#32     May 9, 2011
  3. FunMan

FunMan

yes it is W7 32-bit.

#33     May 9, 2011
  4. I just checked my W7-64bit rig w/6GB RAM installed.

System shows "6 GB installed"

Task Manager shows 5060 available, 6142 total... that's about 5/6, or about 84% of my total RAM is still available. At the bottom of the window it shows, "Physical Memory: 16%". Meaning "16% of available RAM is currently in use."

#34     May 9, 2011
  5. OK... adding more RAM won't do anything for you. You're up against the "32-bit limit".

#35     May 9, 2011
  6. FunMan

FunMan

If I remove my graphics card, will the usable RAM increase?

#36     May 9, 2011
  7. Maybe, especially if it has a lot of VRAM. Your mobo has onboard video available if you want to use it?

You should try removing your video card and running from onboard video just to see if it changes your available RAM (onboard video shares your system RAM, so your "available RAM", might decrease).... takes only a couple of minutes. Lots of traders buy big, honkin' video cards not realizing their potential system impact... let alone the fact that they add nothing to performance in a trading environment.

#37     May 9, 2011

8. Scat......:( you're a really smart guy , :) but whats the reason for being so pissed off with Obama ? . :D .

#38     May 9, 2011
  9. FunMan

FunMan

Will computers use more RAM after long hour use ( eg 9 hours) ? I ve just checked Task Manager, it shows " 70% of physical ram" is in use...but the programs I am running and the number of IE webpages open are no different.. last time I told you 41%.

#39     May 10, 2011
  10. (1) RAM experiences "memory leakage", I think is the term.

When a program/function is using RAM and then is turned off, the RAM is "supposed" free-up completely the space formerly occupied by that program/function. However, it does so only partially or not at all.

After a few hours of multi-tasking, check your RAM currently in use. Then exit your browser and restart it. Check the RAM in use again. You can easily see 100+MB difference. That's "leakage".

(2) W7 basically "caches everything".. so if you re-access a file it's already in RAM for faster retrieval. All day long W7 caches more and more, occupying ever greater amounts of RAM during the session.

With your W7, 32-bit system, you've got only 2.75GB of RAM you can use. If this limit gets to be a problem, the solution is to run W7, 64-bit with more RAM. (Or run XP... which is more efficient at "paging out" files to keep RAM free, if needed.)

Though you're using a significant proportion of your availabe RAM, doesn't sound like it's yet enough to be a problem or to hinder your performance.

#40     May 10, 2011