Anyone using the hoadley XL add-in?

Discussion in 'Options' started by nonprophet, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Looks like hoadley even downloads from Yahoo,etc. I just bought the program yesterday so I've got a lot to learn. There's stuff in there that I've never even heard of.

#21     Dec 10, 2006
  2. For that price it's worth a look even if you don't use it. I know I've got more than $70 worth of useless trading books on my shelf. Now I sound like a paid advertiser. But I'm really impressed at what you get for so little money.

#22     Dec 10, 2006
  3. does Hoadly has position's analyzer ? Can one use diff vols for diff month for what ifs ?

#23     Dec 10, 2006
  4. Looks like it will do all of that stuff. I think it will pull historic data from yahoo and it will do volatility surfaces. It will analyze positions and also manage a current portfolio. Just go to the website and poke around a bit.

#24     Dec 10, 2006
  5. Hmm, seems the thread is actually generating business for hoadley!

Meanwhile googling “hoadley options import” leads me here:

Version 9.9o (Release date 2 February 2006)
    Option chain import from file: A new provider, "File", has been added to the list of option chain providers so a text file containing option chain records can be imported into the option chain component

In view also of all the endorsements I’ll throw my $70 at the madman’s genius.

Thanks all for the input.

taclander, your older version probably won’t do it. Appreciate your efforts.

Hey IV_Trader, you’re kicking tyres here! It’s only 70 bucks !!!!!!! :D

#25     Dec 10, 2006
  6. You might try this analyzer instead:

http://www.voptions.com/

It pulls in data and is quite intuitive and easy to use imho. Free to try and $70 to buy.

I program my own option tools so I don't use the above analyzer, but when I messed with the Hoadly years and years ago it was kind of clunky, as most Excel add-ons are. Plus, sounds like Pete is not very "customer oriented" and needs to realize there are other solutions besides his.

Good trading to all. :cool:

Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

#26     Dec 10, 2006
  7. Thanks Wayne, I actually tried that one.

Amazing 3-d graphs, very nice interface, but no volatility input or output, except one overall for all options on a stock.

One 3-d combo graph had me quite enthusiastic about a position’s P/L until I realized: you download real option quotes, each with its own IV (which are not calculated/shown at all) and then it plots a P/L graph based on one overall volatility that you can manually adjust.

I’m no expert but I wondered: how does it calculate a combo P/L till expiration when it starts off with different IV’s and then uses the same for all legs? Am I making sense?

#27     Dec 10, 2006
  8. :) its obviously not about the money...but if they don't have this particular function , I don't want it. PM me when you done playing with it , let me know what you think. Again , I need to analyze calendars by using diff future vols for front and back month . Thanks

#28     Dec 11, 2006
  9. Well, it is another item I lost to hard drive death. It seems like you may give it a try anyway. Good luck, hope it has what you need. Not what you are looking for, but I found it a great product, especially for the price, and I know I barely touched all the functionality. Think it was only $50 when I bought it.

#29     Dec 11, 2006
  10. gbos

gbos

For simple tasks it is easier to make your own custom excel spreadsheet than learning to use an add-in. The add-in will be useful if you need for example garch etc. as it is difficult to implement the optimization algorithm in VBA etc.

For a simple calendar you can use something like this...

#30     Dec 11, 2006