Anyone using the hoadley XL add-in?

Discussion in 'Options' started by nonprophet, Dec 8, 2006.

1. basis

basis

He's right. It's SEVENTY DOLLARS. If that's an issue, you don't want to trade options.

#11     Dec 8, 2006
  2. basis I don't get it. So anything let's say, below $70, does not entitle you to asking questions? After all it's only 70 bucks?

I got a few add-ins lying around, $70 each. No questions please, just transfer the money.

#12     Dec 8, 2006
  3. Pardon me for jumping in, but it's not the seventy bucks. Often it's the time you have to invest to install, configure and figure out how to work it that is important. It's pretty annoying to spend hours and then find out the product doesn't do what you want.

Don

#13     Dec 9, 2006
  4. basis

basis

Ok, ok. The software is *excellent*. The models are well-specified and documented. I've been a professional options trader for 12 years, and there's not anything I've ever tried to do that I can't (outside of exotics and such). It just works. It calculates option values and greeks in various ways. That's it.

#14     Dec 9, 2006
  5. nonprophet, i'm not really sure it can do you what you want it to do there as far as importing.
    I grabbed it to mess around with the GARCH stuff in there.
    With that said, its easily worth 70 bucks for all the tools in there, i'm sure something will easily be worth 70 bucks in the package.
    That email to Hoadley is ammusing. I could completely picture him being this mad financial scientist who did this for "fun" and is now just selling it cheap.

#15     Dec 9, 2006
  6. Out of curiosity, is the $70 a one off fee or an annual subscription? Sounds extremely cheap.
    daddy's boy

#16     Dec 10, 2006
  7. One off. You get updates for a year, but the program lasts forever. If you want an update after one year then you have to buy it again. He says that his business model is to sell it cheap and sell lots.

#17     Dec 10, 2006
  8. Cool. Sounds like great value for money for those who don't already have modelling programs.
    daddy's boy

#18     Dec 10, 2006
  9. Before Peter H. realizes that his program addin is the cheapest in the planet and quadruples his price, you guys better get it. I don't know of any other add-in in XL that does a lot for that price. Regarding importing that is truly your own issue. Learn VB to get textfiles from YHOO or another data downloader, drop it in XL then go to town with his addin.

#19     Dec 10, 2006
  10. leonnis

leonnis

Have been using it for three of four years. If you have an optionXpress account you can download anything you want. It has the OX get built in. If you trade thru TOS you can download with TOS's DDE anything also.
    The most important thing is that you can use Hodley's functions in Excel as you wish. A lot of Hodley's worksheets are fine for instruction but not simple and straight forward as i would like. Hodley's program is worth the $70 just to test you knowledge ;)

#20     Dec 10, 2006