anyone using Oanda API Vbnet

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by bpatrick, Jan 30, 2006.

1. bpatrick

bpatrick

Doesn't this imply that you need to know C++
    If you look at the Docs for VBnet the Properties and Methods aren't fully written out. It seems you have to guess how to write the Properties and Methods. One thing I like about IB is that they let you use their API for free using their demo version until you get the hang of it. Oanda won't do that.

#21     Feb 2, 2006
  2. BigEasy

BigEasy

Their Java API looks simple enough, and is my choice hands down. But I'm not a C++/VB type, so you may be on the right track.

Does this imply that you are considering purchasing their API? I'd like to know if anyone has bought it yet, and how their doing. I'm on the verge of purchasing it myself.

#22     Feb 2, 2006
  3. bpatrick

bpatrick

I know VB6 preety well but I'm rather new to VB net. I would like to use the OANDA API but I want to make sure I can use it before I start shelling out money. Go to fxtrade.oanda.com and click on the API and look at the docs for VB net. When I look at them it seems like something is missing. The Properties and methods aren't fully writtnen out. The implication I get from the email from Oanda is that I need to know C++ in order to code Vb.

#23     Feb 2, 2006
  4. BigEasy

BigEasy

Oanda's existing interface is Java based, so it makes sense that their best API port is in Java.

Would an ASCII based socket level interface be useful? I don't know how hard networking is in the microsoft languages.

I would consider writing such an interface if there was interest.

#24     Feb 6, 2006
  5. Try FxtsAPI - Python based FXCM's FX Trading Station API fom: http://www.apitraderfx.com
    Web pages are under construction, but API, documentation and example can be downloaded...

#25     Feb 10, 2006
  6. fxbot

fxbot

I purchased Oanda's Java API last year. Maybe not ideally commented and with a couple of methods not fully implemented (at this time) so you may have to 'play' with it for a while in order to explore it. But it works perfectly anyway. The support team is responsive and cool. The (Java) API is thread-safe so you can easily use it in a multithreaded program. I used it in my own integrated backtesting/automated trading program (a 28000+ lines project) and didn't have any problem.

However you should be careful to not be (like me) undercapitalized. And even if you do the right transaction volume each month, the initial $600 won't be refunded.

#26     Feb 28, 2006
  7. BigEasy

BigEasy

It seems that if any brokerage was appropriate for an under capitalized account it would be Oanda, since you can trade $1 if you want.

What problems did you run into due to insufficient capital?

Am I inferring correctly that you no longer use the Oanda API? Why stop?

If one does discontinue the service, does he just stop paying the $600/month? What if you want to start up again?

Any help appreciated. I'm nearly ready to embark on this path... my team has finally got their systems working well in simulation. Thanks!

#27     Feb 28, 2006
  8. If you are undercapitalized to start, having a $7200/year automatic drain on your account because of the API sure isn't going to make things any easier.

#28     Feb 28, 2006
  9. BigEasy

BigEasy

Good point.

I'll make sure that our system's trading frequencies and dollar volumes jive out to cover the 12M.

#29     Feb 28, 2006
  10. fxbot

fxbot

Which is also interesting if you want to trade a lot of pairs simultaneously and have a special money management/position sizing algorithm to apply, in which case a regular lot may be too big (for your capital).

Mostly incapacity to cover the monthly fee which, added to losses, would have quickly drained my account. Generally, I was undercapitalized but most of all, I had a losing system/strategy. So I had to work on a new system while my program was accumulating data without trading for backtesting (my system was high frequency so the data available from other sources was completely worthless). But then it wasn't discounting the monthly fee by generating transactions volume. So I was basically losing money either by trading or not trading.

As I vitally needed the intraday data, I had to maintain my API access. The only solution was to quickly modify my existing system, backtest/optimize it and increase the leverage to compensate for the lost transaction volume, which was vastly increasing my risk on a known previously losing system. Of course it didn't work : I needed a completely new trading model but didn't have the time to conceive it. Added to the fact that I was trading borrowed money, not mine, this was starting to be a very stressful game !

Yes I no longer use it. I stopped because my trading model was not profitable anyway, but that was not due to the API. But I plan to get back to it when I have refunded my account and have a new model.

Yes but you have to notice them in writing (email) at least one month in advance, so you'll have the monthly fee for the current month plus the last month.

If you terminated the API agreement, I guess you'll have to sign a new one and pay the initial fee of $600 again.

Not to bother you but the only reliable simulation I can think of is the program trading realtime on an FXGame (demo) account for a while. Until you've done that, you can have an unwelcomed surprise, like the one I had (that is, if you're trading high frequency and don't have very reliable high-frequency historical data).

#30     Feb 28, 2006