anyone using Oanda API Vbnet

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by bpatrick, Jan 30, 2006.

1. bpatrick

bpatrick

The problem with IB is that they charge a commission. It's $5.00 per trade under a certain amount. If you make 100 trades a month that's $500.00 plus the spread. Not much different than Oanda's charge of $600.00.

#11     Jan 31, 2006
  2. Hittfeld

Hittfeld

This is ridiculous: You compare apples to oranges !

If you do 100 trades a month you would be totally free of charge at OndA. IIrc its a USD 50 credit per 1 mio traded. If you trade less, why use API?

I think all this is just plain OandA bashing.

Hittfeld

#12     Jan 31, 2006
  3. bpatrick

bpatrick

Oanda only let's you use their API for free if you trade 12 million per month.

#13     Jan 31, 2006
  4. eesnz

eesnz

#14     Feb 1, 2006
  5. That's 6 mio roundtrip you can do it on $10k account easily. If your systems must be automated and you don't have $10k ... you're dreaming up a river... Start saving and get real. Oanda's a great deal.

#15     Feb 2, 2006
  6. FWIW, not every use of an API is automated trading. I do some of that, but I also have my own custom order entry screen that I generally prefer to most broker's front ends. An API let's me use my own.

#16     Feb 2, 2006
  7. bpatrick

bpatrick

piphunter

Which Oanda Software are you using. Vb or C++ ?
    Thanks

#17     Feb 2, 2006
  8. Fair enough. Custom entry screens are not something I figured most people would do. But good luck to you.

I am not using the Oanda API. My strategies do not need to be automated. But it doesn't really matter what language you use it in. It's just an interface so you can send and receive messages to Oanda's servers. It's not a programming language. It's not a strategy development platform. You need to come up with your own trading model and program it. It doesn't really matter if you use Java, C#, C++, VB.NET, Perl, Python, Ruby WHATEVER. If you know how to build software you could hook your trading model system into Oanda's using an interface that communicates through a small API-connected program.

Good luck

#18     Feb 2, 2006
  9. bpatrick

bpatrick

Here's what I wrote to Oanda API department and here is also the response which made absolutely no sense to me.
    It seems they expect anyone who codes VB to also know C++.
    If anyone understands this email response please explain it to me. I sent them another email but haven't received a reply.

On 30-Jan-06, at 12:01 PM, bpatrick wrote:

There were many examples for C++ but there was only one sample module for Vbnet and that just showed how to login to fxgame and make a marketorder trade.
    It didn't show how to get quotes or make limitorder trades or sell etc. The docs showed the namespaces and methods but there are no examples.

Hi Bob,

You are right that there only a couple of "VB" examples, but there should be several C++ samples
    included. Our VB implementation is a wrapper of our C++ distribution, and as such the methodology
    of using the API is consistent between the two.

The VB samples only illustrate how to call a few of the native C++ methods, and once you understand
    how that is supposed to work, you can use a similar method to invoke the other methods (as shown in
    our C++ samples).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
    Dan

#19     Feb 2, 2006
  10. It makes perfect sense to me. But I've been doing software development for 5+ (10?) years...

Essentially the calls through VB.NET or C++ are nearly identical except for syntax in calling a method. That's because underneath the VB.NET API class is the exact same C++ class that C++ developers are using. It's just a wrapper interface to provide managed .NET access.

I'm happy to help where I can but what exactly are you trying to do and what can I help you with??

#20     Feb 2, 2006