anyone using Oanda API Vbnet

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by bpatrick, Jan 30, 2006.

1. bpatrick

bpatrick

Is anyone using Oanda's API using VB net ?

The sample code only shows how to login to Fxgame and make a marketorder trade.
    The Docs show the namespaces and methods but don't show how to precisely use the methods.

2. If the darn API didn't cost $600/month + $600 initial fee, I'd be all over that. I assume this is what it still costs (as that's what the web site says)?

3. bpatrick

bpatrick

Yes it does cost 600 per month.
    I emailed Oanda yesterday requesting if I can use it for free until I figure it out but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

4. bpatrick

bpatrick

They won't let me use the VBnet for free until I get the hang of it. They charge 600 for the first two months and 600 per month thereafter.
    They give a lot of sample C++ code but their VBnet sample code is pathetic.

5. Oh well. Maybe someday they'll make it a more accesible API for little traders (like me). Long live IB's free API! :)

6. FXCM provides their API free of charge.

7. bpatrick

bpatrick

I have FXCM's beta code. It's all in dot Com not Dot net.
    I'm curious why they wrote it in dot Com.
    They also wrote it in such a way that it appears you have to sit in front of your computer all day. There's clicks to buy and msgboxs etc. They also require 250,000 in your account.
    I wrote to www.dukascopy in Switerland. They have an API written in VBnet but it's only free if you trade 50million per month.
    Oanda's is free if you trade 12 million per month.
    Interactive Broker's API is also in Dot Com not Dot Net. Dot Com is the past and dot Net the future. Why are these broker's sitting in the past ?

8. My guess would be alot of these systems components were designed and implemented way before the .NET hype so can you cant really blame them, .NET a few years ago was a joke.

9. bpatrick

bpatrick

FXCM just created their API Beta version created in Dot Com and not Dot Net. I've been conversing with Realtick and they tell me that with Dot Net you can have quotes streaming into your program and you don't have to request them. It seems with most of these Forex Brokers you have to request your quotes.

10. Sounds like a bad joke compared to IB's free API.

#10     Jan 31, 2006