Anyone using eSignal Market Data API?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by mcdull, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mcdull

mcdull

I have a few questions:

1. how is their server reliability?
    2. can I connect to their servers directly without installing any of their software?
    3. how about the tick latency?

thanks!

2. esignal api is pretty good as long as you're trading small subsets of the market (eg <100 symbols)

bigger than that you can see performance problems affecting all of esignal (not just the api feed). this can be true even in more recent threaded versions of esignal

1. good
    2. not with their desktop api product. if you are an esignal partner they can make their protocol feed available
    3. good with small numbers of symbols

most tradelink users trading hundreds or thousands of symbols will use something like iqfeed or nanex. otherwise esignal is very good.

3. Be advised that you can't call into their software more than eight symbols at once. As to latency, what do you think of NO DATA AT ALL for seconds at a time in a screaming market on a heavy volume symbol?

4. mcdull

mcdull

Thanks tradelink and Joe Doaks.

Looks like there is no "retail grade" streaming quote provider providing Linux solution?

RMDS is a bit overkill for me.

5. iqfeed is tcp-based so it will work on linux

6. Well, everything is tcp based (except online games using udp), so that is platform irrelevant. To the best of my knowledge they do not allow direct connection to their servers, you have to use their client which resides on your box, and that client is windowz based. I have found some requests on their forum dated back in early 2000's from people asking them if they are going to provide linux client and the response was that they do not see much interest.
    If this is not correct, I would be personally interested, because it is a good feed...

Sheldon

7. "iqfeed api is tcp-based" iow

meaning you speak raw tcp to get at their feed. (rather than some brokers which make this difficult, don't provide information/etc)

you're correct that their client runs on windows (exe). this client proxies the feed for you, you speak to client via tcp. no special iqfeed or windows libraries required to talk to client.

so you should be able to run client on another machine or a local windows VM, and just receive feed on linux.

alternatively, you could use iqfeed in tradelink and talk to tradelink on linux using tcp.

8. Well again, with all due respect.
    "iqfeed is tcp-based" is correct, but irrelevant for the situation we are talking about.
    "so it will work on linux" is not correct, we agree
    "no special iqfeed or windows libraries required" is irrelevant because you need winz operating system to run iqfeed client, and iqfeed client IS library compiled to run only on winz OS

Of course you can run all those things ( I don't know what the tradelink is, but it doesn't seem to help, just another hoop to jump through), but why would I do that when other native solutions are available? iqfeed would have to be the only solution (and it's not) to start improvising, but then I might as well run the freakin' winz.

mcdull was looking for linux solution.
    Enough said, cheers
    Sheldon

9. If by linux solution one means running trading systems or code on a linux box that processes data from iqfeed, see our above posts. Windows running in a vm or seperate machine would also be necessary, but your code and systems would run on linux.

If by linux solution one means no windows anywhere, you could look at td ameritrade's http api.

10. hey mcdull, what do you plan on using the api for? it might be a good idea, but perhaps if you tell us your needs, one of us might know a better, more specific solution

#10     Dec 21, 2011