anyone using a solid state drive ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wallace, Sep 8, 2009.

1. #21     Sep 9, 2009
  2. Use it as an indication of their QC :)

#22     Sep 9, 2009
  3. Great link. Thanks.

#23     Sep 9, 2009
  4. Considering they are using the same flash as other makers... and one of the OK controllers, I think it's more likely it's an issue of firmware... and already resolved.

You forget? Even Intel stopped shipping of one version of their SSD until they could rework the firmware.

#24     Sep 9, 2009
  5. #25     Sep 9, 2009
  6. #26     Sep 9, 2009
  7. lwlee

lwlee

I thought this was pretty cool. Extreme SSD RAID setup.

SSD RAID

#27     Sep 9, 2009
  8. work from your solid state drive for speed and then backup daily to a dedicated hard drive ....does anyone do this?

#28     Sep 9, 2009
  9. Only for reads - they're slower than HD for writing. They also have lower MTBFs compared to high quality HDs, and cost quite a bit more.

Not ready for primetime IMO - give it another 18 months and we'll probably be there.

#29     Sep 9, 2009
  10. I am sorry to blow your bait, but it really depends. For some setups they are already financially VERY comparable. But then, not everyone runs or knows what a proper db server is ;)

Imagine you have a rack, 2he, 24 drives if 2.5" (i have that actually - supermicro cage, very nic) and you NEED MORE IO. SAS backplane, getting another, getting another 24 discs.... is nice. You run RAID 10 on them to get better IO.... but with SSD's that can move to RAID 5 or RAID 6.

24 discs is 12x capacity with RAID 10. RAID 6 (2 sets of 12) gives it 20 times the capacity of one disc. That is a 67% increase in net capacity on one cage. And IO is STILL better thanks to the blowthrough perofmance of SSD drives.

And they aren ot THAT much more exensive than 73gb SAS high performance drives ;) The price suddenly is pretty reasonable, ESPECIALLY if you are IO bound. Wear and tear are not so relevant either ;) It all goes into the pricing. It is more expensive, but if one is IO bound.... SSD's have 30.000, a good SAS drive less than 1000.

;) not exactly ninja trader range, but it can make sense. I personally use that system as ISCSI target for some servers to boot and have some RAID 10's off... for a price database I am starting to collect next month ;)

#30     Sep 9, 2009