anyone using a solid state drive ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wallace, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Two areas where significant improvement is still needed.

1. The "Trim" function, in whatever version

2. Small File Random Writes... Most SSDs are at only about 2 MB/s on this. Only Intel's is at a decent speed... 30 MB/s.

#11     Sep 8, 2009
  2. jumper

jumper

when you say over time, what is the length of time are you talking about? most traders don't keep trading pc's for more than three years. i don't know a lot about ssd's but i'm going to assume that they should last that long.

#12     Sep 8, 2009
  3. Should. Some have 3-year warranty. Patriot has 10 years.

#13     Sep 8, 2009
  4. #14     Sep 8, 2009
  5. Why not OCZ? Haven't heard anything bad about theirs so far...

#15     Sep 8, 2009
  6. mekas

mekas

Recent, extensive Anandtech.com article on the current state of ssds: link.

#16     Sep 8, 2009
  7. #17     Sep 8, 2009
  8. OP, I have SS Drives for my workstation and backtest computer and it's night and day. They were not cheap but they do make a huge difference. Boot & startup time, search times, etc. are all much faster.

I still use RAID 0/1 (4 SS drives) but soon will be going to a NAS with SSD and will get rid of the RAID on the local workstation. If you have the extra $ (or $$$$$ in most cases) I highly reccomend upgrading to SSD.

#18     Sep 8, 2009
  9. Ezzy

Ezzy

There's a guy on here that builds a lot of systems. He told me that a SSD was the single biggest performance improvement you can do for your system, over RAM, CPU speed etc (assuming they're not your bottleneck). Guess it would depend on your application, but overall that's a pretty good endorsement from someone using them.

#19     Sep 8, 2009
  10. #20     Sep 8, 2009