anyone uses DSL for day trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripleE, Dec 8, 2009.

1. i used to use verizon dsl and never had an issue. now i use fios.

#11     Dec 16, 2009
  2. AT&T DSL. Never a problem, far as I can tell.

#12     Dec 16, 2009
  3. spd

spd

youtube has been really slow lately. i trade (and browse) just fine with comcast.

#13     Dec 16, 2009
  4. I use DSL and pt multistation and have no problem with connection.

#14     Dec 17, 2009
  5. tripleE

tripleE

It's decided: Will get rid of Comcast Internet and replace it with DSL next week.

No more cable (TV is from satellite).

#15     Dec 17, 2009
  6. hgocm

hgocm

Will you need a back up connection at home? I currently have the 6Mb ATT DSL service at home and have no problem with it running the LightSpeed platform. However, the DSL service went down a couple of times and I suggest get a back up connection at home, assuming you trade actively from home.

#16     Dec 18, 2009
  7. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

i've been using AT&T DSL for many years as a trader. Never had a problem.

I also use several power supply units for back-up power and a Verizon 3G Aircard for my laptop as a backup if my DSL and/or and trading computer go out. I've had to use the Verizon Aircard and the laptop to exit a trade a few times due to my trading computer freezing.

#17     Dec 18, 2009
  8. tripleE

tripleE

How often did DSL go down? once a month?

hope it's not once a week.

#18     Dec 18, 2009
  9. Depends on your definition of "go down".

Like I said up-stream, I experience hick ups with DSL regularly, about once a day to once every 2 days. I rely on using DSL to get my real time price feeds. I stare at multiple charts for 6.5 hours a day. When the price feeds stop (DSL hick ups), I notice right away. Usually it recovers in about 2 to 3 minutes. Sometimes I have to reset the DSL modem.

Don't know if this is considered "down". But sure it is annoying.

For Comcast modem: when it goes down, it really stays down for hours (cable cut, power outage or something). But generally it only goes down about 2 to 3 times a year. Not daily.

Mine is AT&T DSL.

#19     Dec 21, 2009
  10. Redneck

Redneck

Ditto here on the AT&T DSL

Only one issue (they had a hardware problem upstream from me) they fixed it right away – no issues since – and it is plenty fast

I’ve heard FIOS is unbelievably fast – but it is not available in my area

RN

#20     Dec 23, 2009