Anyone used Interactive Brokers ? ?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by teenie_weenie, Nov 9, 1999.

1. trader22

trader22 Guest

The IB system did not bogg down, probably because not many individual investors use it. However, it does have annonying connecting time when you start, which is fairly long. But you only have to do it once to open it.
    No checks were lost! (I only sent one so far)
    Confirmation is usually in seconds, but sometimes it takes longer especially when the stock is very volatile. I could not get a limit order filled when a stock spiked down and quickly recovered. I tried to buy at the ask price when it was going back up. But the ask price went up and my order never got filled.
    I don't have any marketable order that took more than 3 minutes or any hung up cancel. But a lot of times, 3 minutes or even 1 minute is TOO LONG. I have some "botched" trades, but that depends on what you called "botched". If I send an order for a buy at a particular price and the price goes up in 10 seconds and my order could not get filled, then I would call that a "botched" trade. There are many botched trades with IB by that definition. This perhaps happens more often than other brokers I use, such as Scottrade and E*trade.
    I still like IB for some trades. It's excellent for options execution. The bid and ask spread on options is much better than what I can get at other brokers. I usually use it for option trades. I also use it for stocks that have narrow spreads (1/16 to 1/8) so that cutting spread is not really an big issue. If IB can improve the routing of limit orders so that they appear on the Level II screen, then I would use it more for stock trading. Perhaps someone from IB (def) can comment on any possible plan to improve this?

#21     Dec 28, 1999
  2. def

def Guest

I'll have to get back to you on why quotes are not making it to the level II screeens. I'm based overseas and need to talk to someone in the states during NY hours.

Important to note, is that we do not sell order flow and if you are not filled on a NASDAQ stock, my guess is that it is a market maker not honoring their quote. However, I will attempt to provide you with a satisfactory answer.

BTW, you are underestimating the number of clients that use the Interactive Brokers system. Putting us in the same sentence as browser based systems is like comparing a ferrari to a school bus. If you want fast order entry and fills, a java based brower is not your best bet.

It's unfortunate that you only trade stocks on markets with tight spreads. The IB system allows you to place and work an order inside the bid/ask spread. Even if the quote does not show up on level II, I'm ceratin that order is still being worked.

Finally, kobuk is correct that Timber Hill trades all over the world. Outside of the US where where open outcry prevails, most markets we trade are electronic. We build what we believe are the best and most efficient order routing systems for our proprietary trading and then adapt these systems for client orders. (the prop side never sees a client order until it is on the trading floor or exchange order book). These systems are constantly being upgraded. As a result improvements to the software are ever present and I would not be surprised if some of the issues described above have not been resolved. In any case, I'll try to a reply regarding level II soon.

#22     Dec 29, 1999
  3. kobuk

kobuk Guest

To trader22 and def the above responses were indeed interesting.

...I used the TWS trading demo on stocks and had several trades get "botched", yet the distinction between just simply "missing" an entry point and a "true" botched trade is of course enormous as everyone knows.

A "real" botched trade, is the kind you get when you combine customer service that stinks, with system a failure or net conjestion that jams a browser page, not to mention alot of other weird shit,

...and a wait on the phone over an hour to be told that everything is YOUR faUlt, ...

... with absolutely none of the fault being theirs (etrade, datek, ...etc, etc.)

Comparing browser trades to trades done on the TWS system, ...to buses and ferrari's just about says it all.

I see from using IB's TWS demo that it is possible to complete vastly more trades than with a browser, simply because it is "interactive", with no waste of precious time.

No need to run over all the details again.

Browser-trading is like duck hunting, with the rules being that you must keep your gun unloaded and zipped in it's case until a duck is withen range.

Well shit', ...you can't hit a damn thing unless the thing squats down in the decoys, which aint' usually what happens!!!

...now you understand my frustration with day or swing trading with browsers.

It looks to me like the future of trading is probably headed towards what IB is doing.

At least for day and swing.

The longs can probably do just fine with 90 second page-flipping trades.

But other than going long, browsers just are no fun to use anymore.

To all,

...have a great 2000.

...kobuk.

#23     Dec 29, 1999
  4. def

def Guest

kobuk, thank you for pointing out the disctintion between a botched trade and not getting hit on a limit order. Nevertheless, I have spoken with some of my colleagues who are more familiar with our NASDAQ execution and received responses along the lines:

IB is constantly improving its system and tweaking our order routing system to
    maximize speed of executions. We are constrained by the nature of the NASDAQ
    trading system where there is no central order book and the responsiveness of market makers vary. To say that an order went unexecuted because the
    market moved and no one hit the order therefore we botched the trade is unfair.

Nonetheless we take all complaints seriously and address each problem systematically. One thing that you can bank on with this company is we are constantly seeking ways to improve our order routing and speed of execution.

With this in mind, I hope you do not mind if I post a letter that we have sent to all of our clients regarding best execution. Exchanges and some of their members are fighting to maintain their franchise at the expense of the retail investor. What is going on at the CBOE pales in comparison to the rules that the ISE is trying to implement on there so called electronic option trading system. Hope you have a great and profitable new year and here's the letter, if you agree, I not only encourage you to write to the SEC but your congressman as well.

December 29, 1999

Dear IB Customer,

For years investors have been searching for a competitive
    environment in which to trade equity options. Interactive
    Brokers' best execution system provides investors this
    opportunity. The system offers fast, automatic execution
    of equity options at the best possible price. The problem,
    however, is that recently exchanges have proposed rules
    that drastically undermine the capabilities of this long
    awaited solution.

For example, rule changes by the Chicago Board Options
    Exchange (CBOE), which have been "pre-approved" before
    public comment by the Securities and Exchange Commission
    (SEC), currently deny the automatic execution of customer
    orders if any other exchange price locks or crosses the CBOE
    market. This rule change compromises the advantages offered
    by CBOE's automatic execution system because orders may
    be kicked out for manual handling without notice. Furthermore,
    once an order is removed from the automatic execution system,
    the customer loses control of the order given that it cannot be
    cancelled or rerouted to a subsequently better bid or offer.
    We expect other exchanges to adopt similar rules.

These rules have a serious debilitating effect on the quality of
    service offered to Interactive Brokers customers. They deny
    the customer the full benefits afforded by technology as well
    as the ability to truly compete.

Interactive Brokers has submitted comment letters to the
    Securities and Exchange Commission opposing these proposed
    rule changes. We state that the "Commission should resist any
    rule or plan that reduces competition, places the interests of
    exchanges or their constituents above the interest of customers,
    or seeks to deny customers the dramatic benefits of rapidly
    advancing technology."

We urge you to read our comment letter posted on our website
    as a pdf file at http://www.interactivebrokers.com/download/comment5.pdf.
    This is a very important issue, and your opinion can make a
    difference. If you agree with our view, we encourage you to
    comment on these rule changes and the effect they will have
    on you as our customer. Please route your comments in care of:

Jonathan G. Katz, Secretary
    Securities and Exchange Commission
    450 Fifth Street, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20549

Thank you for your attention to this letter. It's time we put an
    end to rules and regulations that stifle competition.

Sincerely,

David Downey
    Executive Vice President
    Interactive Brokers LLC

#24     Dec 29, 1999
  5. kobuk

kobuk Guest

There ya have it. ....

Just when the individual investor at home starts to do well using an automatic best execution system, the bs from rules regulators starts.

No doubt the fox rules the chicken house wherever big bucks change hands.

...SEC, CBOE, ...whoever the hell they are.

What exchanges are probably really whining about is the fact they don't have themselves standing as the middle-man between my sell and your buy and visa-versa.

That's when they probably screw around and make billions we don't know about.

They don't just want the automatic spread they make, they want to f#ck around too.

I just hope the growing power of the huge mass of individual investors can keep snowballing the current online trading revolution that is making competition and fairness the major factors.

There is absolutely no excuse in a free country, preserved by the millions who died in two world wars, for my trade NOT being executed in the best possible way.

Anything less is just corruption.

Kicking orders out and manually messing around with trades sounds to me like mafia style bs.

...It flies in the face of technologies growing ability to handle the astronomical complexities of trading far more efficiently than if attempted manually.

I don't really know what is going on, but I smell something that stinks.

...enough to gag a maggot

#25     Dec 29, 1999
  6. white17

white17 Guest

DEF; thank you for the heads up on the rule changes at CBOE. This explains, I believe, some odd executions I experienced in the past ten days. The most peculiar to was an order to sell-to-close 10 contracts at the bid on CBOE. It took twelve minutes and three separate transactions to complete!! Meanwhile, the bid never changed. Go figure.
    After reading IB's letter to the SEC I would like permission to re-print it and send it to my senators under a cover letter from me. If this is o.k please let me know.

Anyone out there who now trades options or thinks they might should read the above mentioned letter and pass your comments on to the appropriate individuals.

Thank you,

white17

#26     Dec 30, 1999
  7. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Guest

white17 - send it to the head of the SEC too, your senator probably won't really be doing much about a rule change that's within the SEC's purview.

#27     Dec 30, 1999
  8. def

def Guest

I'd be all for any contacts with your congressman and the members of the finance committees regarding the letter.
    In the end though, I believe the SEC approve or rejects the rule changes. Pressure from congress of course couldn't hurt.

If you get the time, read the comment letters on our website (www.interactivebrokers.com) under news and research. The comment letters have been cc'd to the Chairman of the SEC. They are quite detailed and as I think I posted above an interesting read. If you forward our letter or create your own, please add a link or mention the comment letters which provide "meat" to the arguments.

whitel7, I hope you are patient with us as we fight this battle. The wait for those fills is unacceptable and we will be constantly modifying our routing to optimise your fills. Timber Hill has been up against this type of opposition many times during it's history. It seems a mjority of firms and traders enjoy the status quo and fight innovation. If you work at Timber Hill and/or Interactive Brokers - that is just unacceptable.

#28     Dec 31, 1999
  9. bro59

bro59

Tried an IB equity trade preferenced to ISLD and it posted instantly on LII under ISLD.

#29     Jan 8, 2000
  10. mikev

mikev

bro59 could you or someone else clarify
    a little bit? Here is the question:if I
    go HIGH BID on the IB system do I show
    up as high bid on the general level 2
    screen? And if I do what am I called? For example on the Watcher system I use
    I am the ISLD (island ecn). I can see
    myself go high bid, low offer etc..I
    am an active participant. Also can I
    preference almost anybody like I can
    the Watcher?

------------------
    mikev

#30     Jan 11, 2000