Anyone Use Magic Jack?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AAAintheBeltway, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I have been using a magicjack for over 2 years. Infact last year I bought one for my parents in India too and we talk everyday on it for free without any problems. Yes ofcourse there are days where the connection is bad but I have noticed its on days the internet connection is showing latency and disrupted.

Also, with the new magicjack plus you dont even need to connect it to a computer. You can plug it straight into an outlet and pull a wire from your router to the magicjack directly. I have ordered my magicjack plus so will update my post regarding the its performance.

#11     Dec 11, 2011
  2. I concur.

Wireless Broadband via usb stick is the way to go for redundant data connection.

#12     Dec 11, 2011
  3. If magic jack is your "backup data" and magic jack is dependent on a data connection, how does that work? What am I missing here?

#13     Dec 11, 2011
  4. pspr

pspr

I tried Omma (the big brother to magic jack) a couple years ago. I was using Time Warner Cable for internet and the phone voice was mostly awful and calls got dropped a lot. It also slowed down the internet connection when someone was on the phone. My wife finally made me get rid of it.

Internet speeds are a little faster now but I'm not sure I want to try that experiment again.

I've talked to people on skype with video a few times in the past month and the quality was decent even with video. Not as good as on a regual phone line though. If that was my only means of a phone line it would be inadequate.

Also, my internet does go down a few times a year. It has even gone down for several days and been flaky for several days at a time. That's why I don't want the cable company to also be the source for my home phone. One goes down then it all goes down.

#14     Dec 11, 2011
  5. piezoe

piezoe

Have a magic jack. Works great for phone calls if your internet and computer is on. I use mine almost exclusively to ring my cell phone and thus locate it in the house. :D

This makes me wonder why someone hasn't invented a button on a cell phone charger that rings your cell phone via blue tooth so you can find the damn cell phone.

#15     Dec 11, 2011
  6. volente_00

volente_00

kids or too much alcohol ?

:)

#16     Dec 11, 2011
  7. Hey AAA, I use ringcentral for my business you can use it through your computer like magicjack plus transfer to other phones and almost anything you can imagine and it's cheap with a good history of use in business.
    With ringcentral it's easy for me to work in other areas and get a local number and keep the number for warranty work without costing much. I have 4 ringcentral numbers. Call quality is good, as is customer service.

I use the mobile version.

www.ringcentral.com

edit: just going over what I pay, about $465 a year for 4 lines, might not be what you're looking for if looking for the very lowest price. Dependability and versatility is very important to me, after looking at all the different companies that is the main reason I chose ringcentral and the price is good for what I use it for.

You might look a google voice, I have one of those lines also and works good also, price = free and can use from your smartphone.
    Dependability and quality on google voice is good also.

#17     Dec 11, 2011
  8. Google Voice > Skype IMHO - though they both essentially do the same thing.

#18     Dec 11, 2011
  9. How is magic jack for sending and receiving faxes? Is that even possible?

#19     Dec 11, 2011
  10. Definitely, I use Verizon Wireless Broadband as my backup with one of their USB sticks, 1200-1500kbs download, 400-550kbs upload, $60/mo

#20     Dec 11, 2011