Anyone Use Magic Jack?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AAAintheBeltway, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I realized I can add a backup internet connection for the cost of an extra phone line, which I don't use much anyway. Would MagicJack be ok as a secondary phone line? I would plan to use it with the Clearwire internet service.

2. risky63

risky63

It works. the voice part of it can sound a little funny sometimes.
    don't know about data transfer.
    ( have a friend who vacations in fla in winter and thats what he uses)

3. da-net

da-net

Magic Jack works great, we have 3 connected to a laptop and to a PBX system. the big problem with using them is your ISP and its latency...Souther Bell aka AT&T at times has huge latency and data flow problems....currently considering switch to Comcast.

I tried a Clear wifi connection in my area and it was horrible connections almost everywhere...returned product, paid fees to stop contract.

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Since with Magic Jack you are basicly using internet with VOIP, you might as well just use Skype.
    Also with a free gmail account you can call any US number for free....

5. Can someone call you on skype using a regular phone? Maybe I should check it out first.

6. Is MajicJack worth the hassle?

Let's hear pro's and cons please.

Can it eliminate cell phone fees?

7. da-net

da-net

Hassle...what hassle?

cell phone fees, very possibly with their latest introduction which is only available to current customers. It is a computer in a single chip the size of a small power supply that plugs into a wall outlet, which has a magic jack plugged into it. this looks like they are opening up their total market, may even spell the end of land line phones...

price tag when they hit WalMart $69 current cost to customers $35

btw stock symbol = call

8. What do you want to do? Have a backup phone line? Or have a backup internet connection?

If it is a backup internet connection, as that seemed to be what the OP wanted back in Feb 2011, it seems to be cumbersome. You would need to have a 56k modem (many new laptop don't include the RJ11 jack any more), then connect the RJ11 line (phone line) to this MagicJack, then plug in to the power outlet. I think the speed would not be good.