Anyone use anything else than time based charts for day trading?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Howard, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Hi Howard,

Thanks for the thread. I've read it through and watched the video on page 3.
    (As you know point and figure charts do not use time in their construction.)

Initially, I misread the title, and I was wondering if perhaps someone was experimenting with a variant of a constant time on the x-axis.

I have been trying to think of a way to display time differently. I haven't quite figured out how to do this though. As I don't (yet) know how to program in C# I have not been able to create charts to express these ideas.

----------

#31     Mar 9, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  2. timdug

timdug

I use 2000constant volume bars, also use a 15000cvb for a larger view and 10000cvb for medium. I have a 15min bar chart up also as sometimes I find the pattern recognition part of my brain can pick up on a lot on that timeframe bar.

#32     Mar 10, 2019
    themickey and Reactive Analytics like this.
  3. %%
    I agree;
    with about 80-95% of that.AS far as using charts; not using a time measure makes no sense or too much change for me. On an occasional day trade;use time based charts +[ bid/ ask.] So on an entry/exit, its bid/ ask more than time based, use both.

CANT ignore volume, l have to put a volume on order entry/exit.LOL

#33     Mar 11, 2019
  4. I use bid/ask as well and would love to have an indicator built that would either paint the bars one color for ask bias and another for bid bias. Any suggestions would be welcome.

That being said, saying time charts have more immediate value than CVB charts, without extensively testing them, is like saying you tried fish a few times and it always smelled like rotting flesh so I won't eat it again. Lots of successful traders use a variety of tools and use them differently. I know traders that only use price and are extremely successful. One cannot dismiss a tool simple because they don't fully understand the optimal way to use it as others do.

#34     Mar 11, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. %%
    RA, you may have thought of this, but it looks so cool on charts ,i still use it.
    Green or blue candles for up/bull market bias candlecharts; red, or solid black for bear bias/downtrend bias. I call the latter sell volume, if closing price is down/ red. IBD [investors .com uses red bars for sell, blue bars for buy=red, white + blue]:cool::cool:

#35     Mar 11, 2019
  6. Murray, is the bar color solely based on the close of the bar? I ask because I've seen the close of an individual bar close down but the overall bias of that market at the time of the close was up and vise versa. Thanks for answering in advance.

#36     Mar 11, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. I became more profitable, and mostly more aware to my actions. Even so, I am a new user in this software and have much more to learn about it.

#37     Mar 12, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  8. Murray, is the bar color solely based on the close of the bar? I ask because I've seen the close of an individual bar close down but the overall bias of that market at the time of the close was up and vise versa. Thanks for answering in advance.

#38     Mar 12, 2019
  9. timdug

timdug

If you use Sierra charts- you can configure a lot of many ways to display. Even down to a volume profile per time bar, footprint, TPO, everything

#39     Mar 13, 2019
  10. %%
    Yes mostly RA ; but as you maybe noticed/implied , a 5 hour chart can change color/direction several times before final close- of that 5 hour candle /bar LOL:D:D

#40     Mar 13, 2019