anyone use alpaca, the commission free api trading?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by trend2009, Aug 7, 2019.

1. I haven't been able to do anything with it yet. I just get errors. I'm doing something wrong. I hope to get a project going before long. IB also offers an API interface. I find their commissions pretty reasonable, actually. I can't imagine paying that much in a month.

#11     Aug 7, 2019
  2. guowei58

guowei58

anyone has recent experiences with Alpaca? how reliable are they as a brokerage firm? I've been playing around with it for the past week. No commissions, so great for day traders...just don't want them to blow up/run out of money and lock up my money...

#12     Sep 10, 2019
    trend2009 and murray t turtle like this.
  3. It's a good broker which is developing their API quickly. They recently added Bracket and OCO orders.

#13     Mar 26, 2020
  4. cotinga

cotinga

#14     Mar 27, 2020
  5. Opcodes

Opcodes

want to know too already $150 for july 2020

#15     Jul 15, 2020
  6. guowei58

guowei58

I used Alpaca for a few months and stopped recently. It's an okay platform but very young, so be prepared to see some mistakes. Their system didn't allow me to exit some trades by mistake, but they made up my losses because of their faulty system. I'm not a big API user and IB commissions are already pretty low, so i decided to stop using them.

#16     Jul 15, 2020
    qlai likes this.
  7. Nakesha

Nakesha

I'm using Alpaca for more than 1y. I guess I was an early adopter. At the beginning was a disaster, so many issues from Alpaca and Polygon.io (they still use Polygon.io as source of data). For many times in the last year I tried alternatives, like:
    - TD Ameritrade: the web socket sucks, too many limitations and issues. The support team took +3weeks to respond me
    - IB: I hate to run a gateway application in 2020. They have Web API but in 1y there are no updates, same shit with bugs and poor documentation

So I keep using Alpaca and I have to say that in the last 3 months was pretty stable. At least they fix the issues quickly and they are always on the chat.

#17     Jul 20, 2020
  8. Polygon.io

Polygon.io Sponsor

We have been working very hard on stabilizing our systems. I hope that has shown through on your end. Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do to improve our platform.

#18     Jul 20, 2020
  9. Nakesha

Nakesha

I still have a lot of disconnections during the day from the websocket, as suggested in the Slack channel I've implemented a reconnection, but it would be nice having the WS stable.

Also, any news on Level2 data from Polygon.io?

#19     Jul 20, 2020