Anyone up for collaberating on replicating Chan scripts in Python?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by dtrader98, Jul 21, 2009.

1. bozwood

bozwood

Understand, I guess. However, can you divulge whether the data mining solution you use is open source or not?

thanks

#31     Sep 4, 2009
  2. Some OS; some not. If you really want to try to start learning a very capable OS tool for data mining, I'd recommend R.

#32     Sep 4, 2009
  3. bozwood

bozwood

thanks and will do. I believe there is a series of youtube videos that use R for data mining.

#33     Sep 4, 2009
  4. bozwood

bozwood

dtrader,

just curious if you feel R is better to delve into for data mining than rapidminer? I assume you do as you almost stated as much, but do the capabilities of R match-up to rapidminer? What would be some of the advantages of R?

thanks

#34     Sep 6, 2009
  5. Between R and RM, R is much more flexible and IMO, easier to use.

Rapid Miner does not have much literature last I checked, either. It takes a while to understand how to put things together on RM; and if you aren't already proficient in data mining concepts, you will have a hard time
    understanding how to put together a RM script.

I can't think of anything RM can do that R can't. R, however, can do many things RM cannot. As an example,RM cannot solve an AR model parameter on a time series. R
    has so many capabilities RM lacks, it isn't even funny. R is at 1st a statistical tool, RM is only a data mining tool, with some minor statistical functions.
    And as I mentioned RM is a GUI resource hog; I experienced many crashes playing with RM-- never in R.

Hope that convinces you. I gave an example of a NN for RM on the thread you mentioned. There are also many examples here and on google for R.

A good layman's intro to data mining is Data Mining Techniques,Berry/Linnof.
    Get to understand the basic concepts, and then you can move to many, many R books. Like Data Analysis and Graphics using R, MainDonald, Braun.

Cheers.
    P.S. If you do not have much programming experience, RM might seem simpler to use at it is a GUI. The problem is that it just is not that simple, unfortunately, and there are not many examples nor lit. to understand implementation.

#35     Sep 6, 2009
  6. bozwood

bozwood

Thanks for the detailed answer. Yes, you have likely convinced me.

As I am not really familiar with the workings of R except for what you have mentioned and some that I have read, my big question is would I have access to some of the algorithms that are contained within RM without actually having to program them into R? The way I understand it there are many "modules" (not sure if the right word) out there for R that others have programmed, so maybe that would be my solution?

thanks again for your help

also, I will take a look at that book rec.

#36     Sep 6, 2009
  7. YES! Do not be afraid of R, if you are not a programming guru. Take a little time to play with it; buy a simple book to try examples:
    http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252269370&sr=8-1

I mentioned the 1st book, because it has many data mining function examples, but the above is a good intro.
    There are also many decent free intro sites on the web.

R uses libraries and packages, which in turn contain functions already created for you. There are numerous examples available to play with. An example would be a time series package that contains models like AR, GARCH, etc.

#37     Sep 6, 2009
  8. bozwood

bozwood

Thanks for that rec as well. Funny, just a little bit ago I saved this one to my list at amazon. Also found this one as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Stat...TF8&coliid=I20NUHUT4UMPT2&colid=2JJB5F5TAZBVC

so will get one of those.

While I am at it, and as you are right, I am not programming guru, what language would you recommend to program ideas? Maybe R would do the trick for what I am looking for, not sure. I use VBA in excel right now, but I have seen a lot of comments that it is antiquated, not useful, etc. Not looking to create a full-blown backtesting engine, but just program out some of my analyses and ideas. Do you think learning Java, C++, etc. or something like that would be useful?

thanks

#38     Sep 6, 2009
  9. bozwood

bozwood

Just found this as well:

http://rattle.togaware.com/

So, I believe your rec. is the way to go. Seems to be a lot out there for R.

#39     Sep 6, 2009
  10. VBA has some limitations and some advantages. I won't argue the philosophies here. But I can tell you that building a full blown back-tester is not impossible in vba. I'll leave it there.

If you have not done a lot of programming, I suggest to skip the lower level languages like c#/java etc.
    They are good at production/efficiency (when ms latencies count), but suck in terms of learning and implementing.

#40     Sep 6, 2009