Anyone trading with linux?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swoop[TR], Oct 26, 2002.

1. Hello fellow traders,
    I have recently decided to program a trading platform for linux (which uses IB on the backbone). I wanted to know if any one of you are considering or have considered or even ARE using Linux?
    With all the fuss about the Microsoft World Domination scheme (Palladium) I think it is time for me to move on to better pastures. Obviously it is quite a bold move since there are almost no quality charting/trading programs under Linux but there are many open source projects that can be tweaked and made better. That is my goal. In a sense, I don't want to give MS any more of my money, it's starting to feel a little like "the tax collector", give us your money or you're doomed mentality and I hate that. I feel the commercial community will follow and offer linux based solutions (not necessarily JAVA based) but speedier, more stable solutions.

For my part, my program is a C/C++, GTK, MySQL based program that handles charting (RT), Order entry and all that you can expect from a commercial distribution (RealTick, Esignal). Since there are bits and pieces of already coded material on the net and GPL, there is a high likelihood that Linux will become the ultimate trading platform. Away from the instability of Microsoft, away from its memory eating habits and especially away from the never ending fees. This is my idea:
    I make parts of my code available (modules), and those who are interested can contribute. The program can be free, with donations from the community to sponsor our efforts.
    What do you think ?

2. I am in the process of considering a switch to Linux for trading (because I am a geek at heart, not because Windows doesn't work). I need to see if I can work with IB's data feed limitations. If only eSignal or RealTick would offer a Linux SDK for their data, I would switch in a heartbeat. I tried running both RealTick and eSignal under Wine the other day. Didn't work. But, it was the first time I ever tried to use Wine, so maybe with some adjustments?

BTW, I know RealTick offers a pure sockets interface (Tuber) to their data feed, but it costs a lot of money. Other options might be opening a Datek account and hooking into its web based feed. Don't know how good a feed it is though.

Anyone know a reliable feed for S&P E-minis that will work under Linux and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

3. Check out www.mytrack.com they have an SDK I believe that will let you connect through their API to a pretty good market feed and it only costs like $35 a month.
    I am probably going to make a module using their API for Market Data.
    The RealTick API I have not heard of. How much are they asking for?
    Wine will probably not work for such applications as Real Tick.

4. why?its hard enough to make money trading without putting yourself through all this headache.

5. The act of trading is independent from the hardware/software you use.
    I have listed reasons why I want to switch. I will not let myself be a slave to Microsoft. I'd rather go through headaches and develop a good platform than use MS. I'm sure I can make a platform as good as ESignal on Linux/Unix.
    People/Traders can follow if they want.

6. the constant tweaking will take your focus off trading and you will lose more that the msft product costs.win 2k is almost free anyhow and it works for me with zero problems.
    as far as a better platform.maybe you can build a better one.but will it sell is another question.good luck anyhow.

7. For me, computers are my hobby. It doesn't take anything away from trading. I learned a while back the lessen you mention. I no longer work on programming, etc. during trading hours. But I see nothing wrong with writing custom software if it is what you enjoy doing. Some people work on cars, some people play in bands, and some of those people still manage to trade.

8. Sounds cool ...

9. Tuber will set you back in the neighborhood of $1000-$2000/month (plus or minus). I don't recall the exact amount as it was about a year ago that I inquired about it. The reason it is so expensive is that it gives you a direct connection to the data servers which bypasses the login servers, which means they have no way of controlling the number of users that login in through the connection. Or something along those lines.

BTW, the regular Windows based API is free and connects to the data feed used for your RealTick account. So the price for that is $150 for the basic feed. Windows only though.

10. It's because the software is awesome, I'm not sure if the datafeed technology is all that amazing however. I would have to test various datafeeds to decide. I'm using IB's right now and obviously it's not amazing (being a snapshot of the market and not a tick by tick system) but it does the trick for software testing.
    IB's CTCI (which is a tube much like RealTick's) is in the neighborhood of $2000 as well.

Good luck trading.

#10     Oct 26, 2002