Anyone trading Tokyo stocks with IB yet?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by risktaker, Apr 28, 2006.

1. TGM

TGM

are there any stock screeners u guys use over there?

thanks

#11     Dec 15, 2006
  2. >TGM
    There are, but you would need a local account.

Here is a site where among other things you can
    get delayed data for the top 200 percentage gainers/
    losers and volume leaders by market (1st section,
    2nd section etc.) by day, week and month. Click on
    the 'C' on the right for charts. While it's all in Japanese,
    I think you can figure it out by clicking around.

http://money.www.infoseek.co.jp/MnStock/sranking.html

gaijin

#12     Dec 15, 2006
  3. I actually traded some of the Japanese sectors a few months ago thru IB. A couple of things got me annoyed though.

1. Instead of symbols for a stock, they use 4 digit #'s like 7043

2. The 1.5 hour break in the middle of the day kind of made the 2nd session a bit unpredictable in terms of direction so I didn't like to hold for lunch.

3. It also seemed as though the sectors were way too correlated with each other and considering the cost of commissions, I eventually dropped the stocks and traded the futures. I'm not too crazy about futures and theirs is as tough as ES of which I'm no fan.

4.Commissions, while lower than ripoff European trading are still too expensive to succeed at daytrading in my opinion.

US is really (still) the cheapest market out there to trade.
    IB's platform did great in this experiment and in my experience Tokyo fills took about 2-3 seconds. More delay than US market. Futures are faster.

#13     Dec 15, 2006
  4. i like nikkei futures through SGX.

the 5 point spread at $5 per point (roughly) makes it a $25 spread.

that's a bit thick, especially for multiple contracts.

this mini seems like it might be quite nice

but it does appea i have to pay for the OSE datafeed on a month basis whereas SGX is a free datafeed (singapore)

#14     Dec 15, 2006
  5. TGM

TGM

It appears to be 10 bucks a month for the data at OSE. It is a lot more on other platforms. Ten bucks does not seem to bad a price to pay to check it out. I used to have to pay a whole lot more to check out a new exchange/trading product 10 years ago.

:)

#15     Dec 16, 2006
  6. TGM

TGM

Thanks you very much. One upside is that all you have to do is remember the number of the company. Good thing numbers and charts are universal.

#16     Dec 16, 2006
  7. #17     Dec 18, 2006
  8. fwiw, i found out the mini is not approved by the CFTC for US traders, so it is not a tradeable option if u live in the USA

you can trade the singapore contract or the full size OSE contract, but not the OSE mini

#18     Dec 18, 2006
  9. TGM

TGM

Did you hear this through IB? I saw the "span" margining on OSE's website and assumed it had CFTC approval. After all, the large contract has the approval.

CFTC takes forever and totally sucks. They still have not approved the Kospi.

CFTC=Communists Futures Trading Futures

#19     Dec 18, 2006
  10. TGM

TGM

Update on Nikkei approval for US investors. I just heard IT IS APPROVED.

#20     Dec 18, 2006