anyone trading the US stocks market from tokyo?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by glenviewcap, Dec 7, 2010.

1. anyone trading the US stocks market from tokyo?

2. tigerwu

tigerwu

sure, from time to time. When I am not too busy. The hours are not great. 11:30 to early morning these days. How about urself?

3. Roark

Roark

Why don't you try other markets where the hours are more convenient for Tokyo-based trading?

4. tigerwu

tigerwu

Because I trade asia markets in my day job. But I would much prefer to trade the US markets. Spreads are tighter, costs are lower, and there's a lot more opportunities to make money.

5. Roark

Roark

Spreads and costs are lower than trading Kospi? I don't think so...

6. tigerwu

tigerwu

If you want to be a one pony trick. Haha. No one's making money in kospi fut/options anymore. That market is gone years ago. Too many competitors. You can only make money when someone scews up big time, like a few weeks on the open.

7. Hi tigerwu,

When you trade US market, do you open account with broker, such as IB, in Japan, or you use your US account? Is it too slow to fill your order if you day trading? Since it is too far from Japan to US. Thanks.

8. Granted, it's not comparable to US and European markets, but it's still better than the Nikkei.

Do people even trade in Japan ? Intraday price action of the Nikkei is pure shite, at least for a gajin like me. :D

9. tigerwu

tigerwu

There aren't many english brokers here. You are better off using IB. IB is not the greatest but it is one of the cheapest and has the most market access out there. Either way it wouldn't be easy to trade any high frequency strategies out of tokyo, unless u have a server setup in the States.

Nikkei price action is very bad. Either stuck in a 3 tick range or gap open and stuck in a 3 tick range. Not that easy to trade stocks either because of high commission and wide bid/offer spread. But at least there are a few thousand stocks to choose from. You really have to be a local to punt stocks in japan.

10. I traded at the Westin Hotel in Tokyo in March of 2010 and was astonished at how fast the connection was. I normally trade in Ontario, Canada and the connection was as fast if not faster! I was expecting lag time because in Hong Kong and Singapore there was a slight lag, although not too bad, but it was perfect. You can easily do micro scalping from Tokyo.

#10     Feb 13, 2011