Anyone trading the DJ Eurostoxx 50?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Trend Fader, Aug 22, 2002.

1. I was just curious to know what is the optimal time of day to trade the DJ Eurostoxx 50 index. Do you guys think the liquidity is suffice to trade at any time during the day.. assuming you are trading 1-5 contracts? I also notice that this index tends to trend smoothly.. much better than the ES or NQ. However, my main concern is the slippage.

--MIKE

2. alain

alain

if you need infos on the EuroStoxx you can PM me.. I'm actively trading that future.

alain

3. Ditch

Ditch

I've been trading it the last month to get a feel for it. Been trading one contract. Fills at market orders are lightning fast, for me noticably faster than fills on the CME, but then I live in Europe. The moves on the ET are much smoother than on the e-mini's, thare's not as much jumping around. It can stay put on the same quote for several minutes. At first I thought something was wrong with my datafeed but this happens quite a lot. The best times to trade it are between 9.00-11.00 and 13.30-15.30. I wouldn't trade it after 15.30, because then it follows the US blindly.

4. Ditch.. what time zone are you refferring to.. I live in NY (est).
    And what do you mean follow the US markets blindly?

--MIKE

5. Ditch

Ditch

German time I'm referring to. Markets open at 9.00. US markets open at 15.30 German time. I meant "following the US blindly" like i said it, it will just follows the ES in particular, so the smoothness is gone, you get your familiar chop after 15.30.

6. Ditch,

I agree with you that the first 2 hours of the day for the Eurostoxx are the smoothest.. but honestly looking back at 2 minute candlesticks I see the rest of the day the same as semi choppy. No noticable difference between the 2 hours before the US markets open.

--MIKE

7. Mike,

I think the ESTX50 is less choppy than the ES even in the afternoon. I use 2min charts and the candles do look different. Spreads and liquidity is always perfect. Much less fake moves than in the ES or FDAX. It is a good choice, especially for a beginner.
    But why do you want to get up so early?

8. Ditch

Ditch

Are you looking at today? Of course, the 2 hours before the US opens always show good moves. However, when there's US-data coming out that move the US-futures that no doubt leads to good trading moves on the ET. A particular pattern that I noticed on the open appears quite a lot. If the ET opens with a consirable gap , it will retrace to the 38% fib level. Check it out.

9. Ditch

Ditch

10. Ditch

Ditch

The only problem I'm having trading the ET, is that there's no TICK, TRIN and TICKI available. Right now I'm adapting my system to overcome that.

#10     Aug 22, 2002