anyone trading off news?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tempula_99, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Bone, I find what it very interseting.

I often think about playing just the very first reaction to the numbers, but all this requires to be lightning quick.
    I guess that' s why you have that kind of stuff you described :)

And even if good stuff certainly helps, you also have to be an extremely skilled guy to play this way.

So, if I understand you well, you try to play the reaction to the number, if though you think there needs to be one. And then you' re out, and waiting for the next eco release/event.

I have a more specific question, if you don' t mind.

I guess you are waiting a lot, staying a lot on the sidelines, just waiting for conditions you like.

How do you deal with this? I mean, I face situations when I have nothing to trade off. Not that there was nothing to do, but no conditions I liked. That can sometimes keep me off for some 1/2 days.
    It happens over and over again, I know something will in the end bite, but I can't help getting nervous! It' s almost like if was feeling guilty or whatever not to trade, you know, when you feel like you' re about to force yourself into tarde. In one word, I' m not really cool during those situations, and it' s not good. This is where I often do mistakes.

How do you deal with those blanks (if though you have that kind of problem)?

I' m asking this in reference to all those daytraders and all the others that will trade whatever happens. They know, each morning, they' ll be part of the game, they know they' ll trade their e-minis or QQQ. They know they' ll have things to do.

In my case, I never know what I' ll eventually do.
    I discuss that often with some other people trading off events and news. They usually tell me that this feeling will disappear with time and experience, and that they were also facing such problems during their early years.

#21     Apr 14, 2002
  2. bone

bone

Tempula:

Economic releases are not the only reason for me to initiate a trade. I would estimate that maybe 15% of my volume is based upon economic releases. I try to be flat going into the release, and initiate a position based upon the actual release versus the estimates. With major economic releases, I tend to trade more, and the market in general has more volume activity. For example, on April 05, Civilian Unemployment, I traded 12,000 contracts. On Friday, April 12, I traded 5,000. [These are interest rate contracts]. Sometimes, I trade the E-minis, DAX, and CAC because I have the markets right in front of me, and I may have a strong opinion. Next week is confession week, so I might trade some index futures. The problem with the index futures is that I tend to forget about the E-minis I've got on when I'm preoccupied with the Notes or Bonds that I've also got on. I have a friend and trading partner who's much better at it. But then again, he also used to take 200 Spoos at a wack when he was on the floor, too.

#22     Apr 14, 2002