Anyone trading from Singapore?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Remiraz, Jun 23, 2004.

1. He has mixed smarts, nerve, disciplined study, years of practice, a knack for figuring odds on the fly, and fleet brain-to-thumb reflexes. Yet how many of us would credit his talent and skill if Jennings had done as well by trading stocks 38 days in a row? Conventional wisdom has concluded that day trading is a short-cut to financial ruin. The stock market's ruthless efficiency inevitably makes every trader a loser, or so we're often told. Day trading is about the last thing I would do, yet this orthodoxy makes no sense to me. Yes, trading is tough work. But why must it be a fool's game? Why, when so many Wall Street firms trade profitably year after year?

NOW, THERE'S FRESH EVIDENCE that day trading successfully is not beyond individuals willing and able to commit the time, sweat, and brainpower to build superior skills. Those who dabble will likely lose -- very badly. Do Individual Day Traders Make Money? Evidence from Taiwan, is a working paper issued in May by Yi-Tsung Lee and Yu-Jane Liu of National Chengchi University in Taipei, and Brad Barber and Terrance Odean of the University of California (at Davis and Berkeley, respectively). Noted veterans of behavioral finance, the UC economists have long tracked the moves of individual investors. Lee and Liu, having done research for the Taiwan Stock Exchange (TSE), struck a gold mine of data -- the full exchange trading record from 1995 to 1999, including each trader's identity. The four academics got together, since no similar trove has been available in the U.S. and day trading is popular in Taiwan. As a pioneering study, the results are merely suggestive. But if you think, as Liu does, that Taiwan's day traders act much like those elsewhere, the findings are intriguing. "Day trading is really hard. Most people lose their shirts," Barber says. "But there's a small population that makes a ton of money."

The researchers began by counting some 925,000 individual investors on the exchange in a typical month. They then identified the heaviest traders, a group that was just 1% of the total but accounted for more than half of all individuals' day-trading volume. They bought and sold stocks at a profit most days, but after transaction costs lost money. As for dabblers, the less they traded the more often they lost.

In a second cut of the data, the researchers checked to see if past winners kept winning. They ranked all traders by their success over the prior six months and then split them into six groups. The top-performing group went on to see average daily gains of $251, even after costs. At annual rates, that comes to more than five times the annual per capita income in Taiwan. The second-best group also netted gains, but just $48 a day, while the third group lost money, the fourth did worse yet, and so on.

The odds -- 82% of traders lose -- are so grim that Barber encourages no one to day trade. Yet it seems not everyone who does is a fool. Left for future researchers is what strategies -- trading just a stock two, say -- are winners. Meantime, we can form our own notions about what works. Here's one you might see on Jeopardy! Category: Wall Street Animals. Answer: Neither bull nor bear, they're quick as cats and work like dogs to become wise as owls. Question: Who are successful day traders?

#41     Aug 19, 2004
  2. Anyone trade at swifttrade in singapore? What is
    the level of training they give? I had no success
    after trading for 1.5 years on my own, and looking
    for serious help.

I am thinking of joining them, What are the requirements?

#42     Aug 20, 2004
  3. There are no license requirements that I know of. You have to take a training course which they provide and if you make a certain amount of net profits for them within a specific period of time you get paid.

I would check out their web site www.swifttrade.com and get their phone number or email from there.

There are many other prop trading companies in Canada and the US that may let international traders trade firm capital. Just do a google search for prop firms.

Good luck.

#43     Aug 20, 2004
  4. Thank you. But i am based in Asia, and would prefer
    to stay in Asia only.

For your information, i am an average trader who is
    at near breakeven point and not lossing much, and i
    am looking for high level training, not beginer course.

I can trade my own capital, and not looking for trading
    capital, eventhough it's another advantage, but looking
    for soild trainging and willing to pay or share profit if i get profitable.
    Unforunatly, i received a PM from an ET members
    saying that Swift trade don't even train anyone on
    their spain, netherland branchs, so what can we
    expect from their Asian branches?

#44     Aug 20, 2004
  5. No, I meant contact some North American firms who operate internationally over the internet.

You may be able to find a firm who lets you trade from Singapore. This is not limit you to finding a company in your home country only.

#45     Aug 20, 2004
  6. nana-- heard u in Bangkok.... ??

#46     Aug 21, 2004
  7. Right, i am in Bangkok, i have been to singapore two
    times before, but wouldn't mind moving anywhere
    in Asia, if i see trading opportunity is more favourable

#47     Aug 21, 2004
  8. so u private investor? earn money and travels around?? what a life a want to be...
    like to share yr story again??

#48     Aug 22, 2004
  9. Yes, I've heard the same complaints from others. I'm not saying that you HAVE to trade with Swift, just that there are opportunities for people living in Asia (I have many friends in Hong Kong and Taiwan for example who trade North American markets through people like Swift and others). Search the web for international Prop firms.

Good Luck.

#49     Aug 23, 2004
  10. I know this is an old thread, but wanted to see what's going on in Singapore. Any of you guys still around trading full time? I'm interested to hear from established prop or hedge fund traders.

#50     Jul 30, 2006