Anyone trades with quad core?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a529612, Sep 5, 2007.

1. jd7419

jd7419

"Does anyone here have similar data/charting/order entry setup that performs perfectly in all market conditions? If so what hardware do you use?"

Hey Flip,
    In my office I have esignal running on a p4 2.4ghz 2 with gigs of ram. Thats it no other aps. On my other system p4 3ghz with 2 gigs ram I have my trading platform running. I will occasionally open ie on this computer. Average download for me is 23000kbps and 4000 kbps upload.

I have basically no problems and everything runs great. The only problem I think you might have flip is if you are runnung multiple tws on the same computer. When I have esignal and my tws running on the same computer in my house I run into these problems sometimes.

#41     Sep 9, 2007
  2. jd7419

jd7419

Thanks gnome and lucky for the replys. I have an itch to buy a computer lately so I guess I'll buy a core 2 duo from dell refurbished. I have seen many of these in the vostro desktop line for under $400 with xp pro and 2 gigs of ram over the last couple weeks.

#42     Sep 9, 2007
  3. Thanks, so if I have multiple apps do they each connect to a different core and build up queues in a round robin fashion? If so this may help with performance. Even so when my computer slows my CPU is hardly ever throttling above 50% so maybe my issue is from another weak link.

Thanks all for the replies.

#43     Sep 9, 2007
  4. 11Blade

11Blade

What OS do you use? May make a difference. How much RAM do you have and are you paging to disk?

#44     Sep 9, 2007
  5. gnome

gnome

When you're multi-tasking, Windows has to allocate CPU time to each app in an effort to "get everything done and keep everything current".

With more than one core, Windows has more to work with... overall performance SHOULD be better. Testers claim that to in fact be the case.

#45     Sep 9, 2007
  6. gnome

gnome

Check out Toms Hardware guide. On the right, it lists "Latest Charts". Click on "CPU" and compare a proposed new one vs your current one with a variety of tasks. I think the "MS Powerpoint" task is a good measure of overall comparative performance.

Depending upon the test, the Core2Duo's are MUCH faster than any of the P4s... except the "EE Extremes". The C2Ds are still somewhat faster than those and much lower cost.

#46     Sep 10, 2007
  7. Tums

Tums

yup. No need to argue, no need to guess... everybody should check Tom's Hardware for reference.

#47     Sep 10, 2007
  8. billp

billp

Flipflopper

Can I know what's your processor speed is (ie Intel processor E???) and your hard disk space and RPM? Sorry not technical savvy.

Don't plan to buy too expensive (eg: E6850) but don't want to get too lousy one. Initially was thinking of Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 processor (ie Dell vostro 200 desktop) but now after reading this thread, it may not be sufficient. Am just going to use it for trading and reading the financial news. Thanks

#48     Jan 20, 2008
  9. Boomer

Boomer

about to buy a dell xps 420.

default processor is the Q6600 quad core (8mb, 2,4ghz, 1066fsb)

I could pay 50 extra for this:

the core 2 duo e6850 (4mb, 3.0ghz, 1333fsb)

which one will be the fastest for day trading?

#49     Jan 20, 2008