Anyone trades with quad core?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a529612, Sep 5, 2007.

1. jumper

jumper

I have the fast raptors 10k rpm and have seen the 15k rpm. For trading, there is no noticeable difference for trading.

I also bought a quad to test out. No difference vs. the fast core 2's. Upgrading RAM is the only way that I see any improvement in performance.

#31     Sep 9, 2007
  2. Ares

Ares

That's true:)

I have 2 core overclocked....
    E6750 at 4160 Mhz..... Bus 2080....:eek:

[​IMG]

#32     Sep 9, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

Go back to Ares post about CPU performance in this thread. Stock (non OC) looks like Q6600 about 50% improvement over D945.

#33     Sep 9, 2007
  4. lastcall

lastcall

Wow.. Solitaire must really fly

#34     Sep 9, 2007
  5. gnome

gnome

LOL! Good one. :D

#35     Sep 9, 2007
  6. jd7419

jd7419

So basically I should not upgrade my pentium 4 computers until trading platforms start utilizing duel and quad core machines. I guess the question is does anyone know what charting packages and trading platforms take advantage of multi core machines? I use esignal and light speed does anyone see a difference with these programs with multicore vs their old computers etc?

#36     Sep 9, 2007
  7. gnome

gnome

Testers have claimed there is a significant benefit NOW if you're running a multi-tasking setup... and trading is definitely that. Check Tom's Hardware post earlier in this thread. Depending upon which P4 you have, a Core 2 Duo might be even 3 times as fast.

#37     Sep 9, 2007
  8. I use esignal for data, Ensign for charting, have 3 TWS's open, and Ninja trader for order entry. It runs smoothly the majority of the time but will slow down during fast market conditions. I was told that using dual/quad core and 4+ gig RAM was useless for XP. The point being that the apps have to be designed to take advantage of multi-processor systems.

I am not looking to make the Vista switch for a at least another year and I am running 2.4 P4 with 2gig. I will do what it takes to improve my performance during fast market conditions but don't wish to buy a system that wil not accomplish this.

Does anyone here have similar data/charting/order entry setup that performs perfectly in all market conditions? If so what hardware do you use?

#38     Sep 9, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

OK, I'm going to say this just ONE MORE TIME, and that's it.

If you were running a single app which is single threaded, then additional cores might not help (except even using only one core is faster than a P4)

However, independent tests have concluded a SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN OVERALL SYSTEM PERFORMANCE FOR MULTI-TASKING. (I don't know for sure because I don't yet have a dual/quad core myself.)

TRADING IS USUALLY MULTI-TASKING. Therefore you should expect better overall performance in a trading environment with either a dual or quad core.

Don't just take my word for it and go buy one. Look for the reviews on THG or X-Bit, or BeHardware, or wherever....

Multi-tasking is NOT the same as multi-threading applications.

#39     Sep 9, 2007
  10. Like Gnome says, currently you'll most probably WILL benefit from *duo* core (because windows can run its own kernel processes on 1 core and the trading software on the other), but not from quadcores (it probably won't be faster than duo cores). Besides, I do believe that each core in a dual core cpu is already faster than the single cored p4.

IMHO currently the best cpu for most trading setups will be the intel duo e6850, which costs about $250.

#40     Sep 9, 2007