Anyone trades on iPhone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by turkeyneck, Mar 19, 2008.

1. #11     Mar 21, 2008
  2. However, Sun is developing a Java Virtual Machine for the iPhone that should be out some time after June, enabling Java applications to run on the phone.

#12     Mar 23, 2008
  3. JB3

JB3

UMPC, that's ultra portable PC's for those who are not up to date, are slated to come into view at end of 08. Lots of brands and new players coming with their pocketable PC's. OQO is definitely the pioneer, but they are still not there yet in my opinion. The Intel Atom chip will be the wave of the future, and they are making them smaller and smaller with longer battery life. Although, it is oftly hard to see with such small screens.

I'm waiting for start of 09 to start shopping for a mobile solution. I think the market would start seeing really good UMPC's by then.

#13     Mar 28, 2008
  4. Well, I can only speak from my personal experience but my OQO model 2 has been a great addition to my trading so far. I mostly use it when out of town but it has also been great for around the house when you don't want to drag a laptop around with you. It has broadband modem, Wifi-A/B/G and Ethernet support so you can network it anyway you want.

The only drawback I've seen so far is the hard drive is a little noisy and the access times are slow sometimes if you are doing a lot of I/O. Also, the unit can run a little hot sometimes so the fans will run quite a bit. When I purchased mine the solid state drives were still around $500-$600 extra but once those prices come down I will look at upgrading to solid state drive down the road.

Before I had the OQO I used a hand-held cellphone with broadband which was rather clunky to trade from over the mobile web browser. It is like night and day now as I can run Java and full browser/application support. I'm sure the next few models will keep getting better and more competition in UMPC will be good too. UMPC is definitely the way to go over a smart cell phone/iPhone solution if you do a lot of trading in my opinion.

#14     Mar 29, 2008
  5. Tums

Tums

the new 3G iPhone should be launched any day now.

#15     May 14, 2008
  6. Don't believe Sun for a New York second that they are "coming out with ..." anything. They have been lying to us for years regarding release of 64 bit java for 64 bit Windows systems.

#16     May 19, 2008