Anyone trade the QM during inventory?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by brownsfan019, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Just curious if anyone here trades the QM during inventory reports. Right now, I am a spectator during this time. Some days it looks like a bracket trade is brilliant and other days you could have easily gotten destroyed both ways on the bracket.

Anyone here trading the QM on Wed from 10:20am - 10:45am (EST)?

2. it's interesting they launched qm with a sort of disproportionately granular .025 tick when it was trading at 30. i wonder if that was a bit of a subtle tell about the time since

3. jreadling

jreadling

I put in a high bracket, and got 15 ticks. Should have held on for more.

4. JR - do you play the brackets every Wed? How do you decide where to place the brackets?

If you don't want to disclose, that is fine too. Just wondering how traders play the news.

5. jreadling

jreadling

not very scientific, im afraid. I looked at the range in the 12-24 hrs preceeding the announcement, and I try to put the bracket high enough that it won't be triggered by backround noise. I think it was 8-10 ticks above. I arbitrarily picked a 15 tick target. My recollection is that it finished almost $1.50 above the immediate post-announcement bar. As always, stop losses are in place in case of quick up followed by big downward move.

6. paulh22

paulh22

Hi all just found this site and saw the thread...

I try to keep away from QM on a wednesday and only trade ICE WTI (LET) previously I've used a 20 cent bracket.

7. ror, i was in qm on wed and got out 1min before inv data release cuz i had to protect me profits and price dropped right to me mental stop..unfortuntely me exit was also the lows...contract shoot up 1.5% in matter of seconds and without ever lookin' back ended the the day up almost 3.5%.

that was one ugly regret and i wasnt even aware at the time it was inventories day. :(

8. Massive respect ! :cool: