Anyone trade FX on IB IDEALPRO and do you see Volume?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by snackly, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Not sure of the reason, but I believe a US resident can simply open an account with the euro-division if s/he wants to use the other platform (there used to be a commission difference, but now they're both $30 per mil USD).

They should just offer both platforms to clients of both divisions (as it's the same underlying ECN), but they don't.

#21     Sep 4, 2008
  2. snackly

snackly

Would that affect execution speed? Meaning would you then be going against european servers?

#22     Sep 4, 2008
  3. Most likely, but probably to the tune of 70-100ms extra. Only an issue if high frequency scalping. Otherwise, rested orders typically remain on the server-side.

#23     Sep 4, 2008
  4. I am under the impression there is only one server (one for retail and one for institutional) - at least the prices are exactly the same. Executions 'feel' almost instant, i have no means to measure it exactly.

#24     Sep 4, 2008
  5. snackly

snackly

And you have the european offering or the US offering?

#25     Sep 4, 2008
  6. Europen (the US branch doesn't offer accounts in EURs).

#26     Sep 4, 2008
  7. snackly

snackly

Btw, that screenshot, is that actually sales? Or just volumes on the bid/ask?

#27     Sep 4, 2008
  8. Its actual trades. Bid/Ask updates would have dozens of updates each minute. Still dont understand how this information could be of any use at all.

#28     Sep 4, 2008
  9. snackly

snackly

You don't understand how volume can be of any use in determining when to get in or out of a position?

#29     Sep 4, 2008
  10. No, tell me, what information could you possibly deduct from a few T&S prints on a single FX platform out of dozens (a retail platform at that).

#30     Sep 4, 2008