Anyone trade FX on IB IDEALPRO and do you see Volume?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by snackly, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Interesting, and it's actual order flow, not just a T&S of the best bid/ask and size?

Can you post a screenshot?

#11     Sep 4, 2008
  2. snackly

snackly

Probably easier to confirm with HS directly , they seem very responsive.

So I guess the next question is what if any use is there for B/A quote volume when trading intra-day FX?

Do folks trade FX here purely on price/news?

If you're just trading on one ECN, doesn't the B/A quote volume have some significance in terms of the exposure or are the market makers on the ECN just giving false impressions on one side of any given quote? And by market makers I mean the liquidity providers on IDEALPRO or HotSpot FXr.

#12     Sep 4, 2008
  3. snackly

snackly

Come to think of it I am almost sure that IB's FX Trader window has a menu item for Time and Sales that includes volume. I will check tonight, maybe I was seeing things.

#13     Sep 4, 2008
  4. I'll occasionally use the aggregate positioning of client orders in the L2 book as I described here. Other than that, I do have the CME FX volume levels on my spot charts of the majors, but I don't directly utilize it other than for general reference.

#14     Sep 4, 2008
  5. snackly

snackly

Without giving away secrets, does that mean you mainly rely on TA to trade on IDEALPRO? Just trying to get an idea of how folks are making winning trades with FX.

#15     Sep 4, 2008
  6. That screenshot is from a few weeks ago. Note that normally not that much gets traded on this platform, there are days where they have less than 50 mio. in turnover, or even less.

#16     Sep 4, 2008
  7. snackly

snackly

So there is much less liquidity on HS FXr than on IDEALPRO for the individual trader?

HotSpot acts like they are the liquidity king, guess they are fudging their numbers based on their FXi offering?

#17     Sep 4, 2008
  8. It depends on the time frame of the trade in question. It ranges from pure TA to fundatechnical.

#18     Sep 4, 2008
  9. Interesting, thanks! Odd that the US platform doesn't offer this data (or the better front-end for that matter).

#19     Sep 4, 2008
  10. snackly

snackly

We're sure of that? That really sucks if so. What would the reason be for that?

#20     Sep 4, 2008