Anyone selling premium only

Discussion in 'Options' started by optionbull, Feb 9, 2013.

1. "As well".

Well he's not in exotics, index or SN skew. I think you're both posing different POV.

#131     Feb 12, 2013
  2. My POV if from the perspective of "probability" of a profit.
    That being, there is a greater "probability" of a profit selling otm puts vs buying the same stock long at a higher price.

While the long investor has a greater "potential" for a greater % and dollar return, it is all merely.... "potential".
    Betting on "potential" is way more risky than "probability" based bets.

#132     Feb 12, 2013
  3. sle

sle

It's important to understand whose lunch you are eating. Could you explain to yourself why these puts are overpriced?

There are very few free lunches, there are only cheap lunches - but even with a cheap lunch, that potato you are biting in might actually be a rock

#133     Feb 12, 2013
    Timetwister likes this.
  4. Becuz POP is edge and there is support on the chart.

In reality, the biggest earner I know of in vanilla options shorts naked puts as his primary strategy. Made something like $15MM in 2012.

#134     Feb 12, 2013
  5. lindq

lindq

You don't know what you don't know.

#135     Feb 12, 2013
  6. One only knows in "hindsight", if the puts you sold were fairly priced or over priced.
    That being, how did the premiums trade an hour, a day or a week later.
    I lock in the credit when i think the stock has dropped to a price range at tech support that is likely to hold.
    Of course that assumes the credit offered meets or exceeds my minimally acceptable dollar and % return goal.

One should only enter a trade, if the credit offered "exceeds" my minimally acceptable dollar and % return for the risk incurred.
    Obviously the higher the better.
    But there is often a fine line, between accepting a credit that exceeds ones minimally acceptable dollar and % return.... and totally missing the trade all together.

Thus, it's all about the "blend" of probability of profit, and "exceeding" a minimally acceptable % return on that trade.
    That is the type of R/R I focus on.
    Focussing solely on R/R without the "context" of probability.... is meaningless to me.
    And again, assuming the credit exceeds ones minimally acceptable ROI,... you will only know in hindsight, if the credit offered was fairly or over priced.

#136     Feb 12, 2013
  7. The SPX 1475P are 300bp over the 1515P. Are they overpriced? Fairly priced?

#137     Feb 12, 2013
  8. I don't trade the SPX. So I am ignoring the numbers you listed.
    But if the credit drops or remains the same over the coming days/weeks, then they were either reasonably priced or over priced,.... and you should have locked it in when you had the chance.... assuming it met or exceeded your minimally acceptable % return goal.
    Depending on each traders % return or ROI goal, what may be reasonably priced for one trader may be unacceptable for another.
    But you will only know in hindsight, if you should have waited for a higher credit.
    But again, i don't view any trade without the context of "probability".
    Numbers alone are meaningless.

#138     Feb 12, 2013
  9. ktm

ktm

Pitchfork ready.

#139     Feb 12, 2013
  10. #140     Feb 12, 2013