Anyone running Windows XP 64bit ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Detonator, Nov 11, 2005.

1. I wanted to get a high powered Dell a few months back and they had a big special on memory (4GB for price of 2GB) if you got a bundle w/ x64 so I got it.

At this point I'm running a 3HZ system w/ the 4GB memory duel core w/ x64 and it is much faster than my "old" 2.3GHZ system w/ 1GB memory but I don't know which factor really change the speed.

I am successfully running Tradestation, AmiBroker (although it occassionally has to be restarted), MS Office, various web site, etc. all w/o any problems.

The biggest issues are drivers; there were no drivers to support my officejet and I had to do a workaround. There were also not drivers for a USB based TV device I was running so it won't run on that machine, as well as a USB based phone recording device I use to tape some training sessions.

Overall, if your needs are pretty straightforward I don't think there are any issues but if you have specialized software or products that require plugging into the USB ports you want to make sure you have the drivers available because many (especially video based drivers) don't work.

Mike

#11     Nov 12, 2005
  2. I am doubtful about the performance gain of 64X2. I currently have a P4 1.6 with 1G ram, and CPU utilization is below 10%. What good can a 64x2 bring?

#12     Nov 12, 2005
  3. bigsid

bigsid

64X2 allows for multi tasking with cpu intensive applications such as virus scanning or defragmenting without slowing performance on applications such as cybertrader pro.

#13     Nov 12, 2005
  4. bighog

bighog Guest

I am gonna wait for "VISTA" before i get another pc, then by the time it comes out in late, late 2006 the applications etc should be up to snuff. This was a slow year for new hardware, Intel had some heat problems with their chips no new killer apps came out etc.

When the time comes i will get a whizbang new one. I for one believe the best ad fastest is what is need for the order entry pc. I still have windows 2000 pro for the charts pc, but xp pro for the order entry machine, nothing else in it.....starts up about 0730 to watch Globex and shuts off at 1630 et at end of pit trading, once a week i run anti-virus then disable it. I keep the processes running to a minimum and it is faster than a cat chasing a mouse.....:D

Microsoft and others are getting prepared to have the upcoming "SERVICES ON DEMAND" be the new kid on the block. We will be paying mostly for stuff coming from a server . or whatever they come up with to get into our pockets some more on a regular basis.

#14     Nov 12, 2005
  5. Why do you need a seperate machine for order entry? My P4 1.6G CPU utilization is below 10%, I am wondering how much performance gain a new one can bring.

#15     Nov 13, 2005