Anyone running Windows XP 64bit ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Detonator, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Has anyone here tried running Windows XP 64bit ?

Any feedback on it ?

2. tomhaden

tomhaden

No need for a 64 bit desktop; just yet.

In a couple of years when Vista is released, the world will be ready for 64 bits.

But right now, with lack of drivers and compatibility, it is meant only for hardcore geeks and developers.

3. Right, the technology might be mature, but all the environment surronded is not mature. For now it doesn't pay for your effort.

4. bigsid

bigsid

I'm running Windows 64 and overall it is excellent. One problem: I can't find a java component to run so java based programs will not run on the system,yet. Cybertrader runs great.

5. There is a Windows 64bit JRE on the SUN java download page.

6. Could you tell me first hand what are some of the improvements you notice ?

Do simple things like the web browser run faster ?

7. Does the 32-bit drivers for printer and broadband modem work with 64-bit OS? Thanks.

8. bigsid

bigsid

I went to HP website for workaround on d135 printer, works great.

Wireless modem mot 51c had no problems at all

9. bigsid

bigsid

Quote from bigsid:

I'm running Windows 64 and overall it is excellent. One problem: I can't find a java component to run so java based programs will not run on the system,yet. Cybertrader runs great.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a Windows 64bit JRE on the SUN java download page.

I went to java website and downloaded the JRE 5, the only one that seems to support XP Pro 64. It doesn't seem to work for trader chat on cybertrader or command center on Ameritrade. They both require 1.4.xx

10. bigsid

bigsid

Could you tell me first hand what are some of the improvements you notice ?

Do simple things like the web browser run faster ?

Overall performance is similar to XP Pro 32 but multitasking is better for CPU utilization, but I'm sure a large part of that is due to running AMD 64 X2.

#10     Nov 12, 2005