Anyone read thestreet.com's option alert?

Discussion in 'Options' started by novel20, Feb 9, 2006.

1. novel20

novel20

Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

Have you accounted for the commissions?

Look forward to your new trades.

Thanks for responding to my inquiry. :D

#21     Feb 10, 2006
  2. liulala

liulala

why not just check out the newsletter yourself if you are so curious about the newsletter,
    there is a free trial available?

To my knowledge, all thestreet.com newsletter performance accounted for the commissions. And I am a very happy subscriber.

Steve Smith is a nice and honest guy. And generously share lots of knowledge. And I have made quite a number of successful trades using his recommendation.

#22     Feb 10, 2006
  3. hans37

hans37

Wow ! That was impressive. I'm not accustomed to people being straight forward on message boards.

#23     Feb 10, 2006
  4. Hybone

Hybone

I respect honest straight shooters .... I think Steve seems honest and I will try out that newsletter shortly.

#24     Feb 10, 2006
  5. novel20

novel20

liulala, read my response to DonnaV about cherry picking the suggested trades by option alert.

In short, if you are better than Steve such that you think you can cherry pick his suggested trades, then you don't need to subscribe to the option alert.

And if you are the 50/50 normal people (which I am pretty sure you are), just follow their whole porfolio in the same proportion in your account.

#25     Feb 11, 2006
  6. Finally, we have a trading guru who is not afraid to show up and take responsibility for a couple of losers. Probably a first for ET.

Steve, you've earned a lot of street cred with me.

#26     Feb 11, 2006
  7. dis

dis

The only thing missing is a performance record. :confused:

#27     Feb 11, 2006
  8. If you do not subscribe to his alert service than you do not have any trades to cherry pick. Many people subscribe as a source of research since many people do not have the time to scan daily but if they have a nesletter giving them a small set of 5 or 6 picks a week, then they can narrow their focus.

If you do not need the research source or trade suggestions to research further, than you do not need the newsletter. But it is meant to be a tool to use. So there is nothing wrong with taking the approach of getting a newsletter and further researching the picks and taking the trades you strongly agree with. That is what any newsletter subscriber should do. I do not think a subscriber should blindly take each pick and dump it in their portfolio. That is the trap newbies fall into when the subscribe, they think they can blindly follow the picks without any independent analysis or research.

#28     Feb 11, 2006
  9. You've got to have a screw-loose to recommend long calendars into an earnings release.

#29     Feb 11, 2006
  10. novel20

novel20

Option coach, you still don't get my point. Look at what DonnaV and liulala wrote and you see how newbies fall into the trap of cherry picking the suggested trades, not blindly following all of them.

If Steve is as good as he seems to be, I will follow all of his suggested trades. The reason is I believe I am not as good as him, and if I try to cherry pick, I may pick the one that totally bombed at the end. But if I follow every suggested trades, I am still 4.5% up in 7 months as he claims.

#30     Feb 11, 2006