Anyone read the Economist??

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bungrider, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Cutten is right. Economist? A good magazine, but very British.

#21     Jan 16, 2004
  2. Love the econ dont have sub yet but read it every week at bookstore lol. Love that witty British humor. Range of topics they cover is great. It is good to get opinions outside of US that arent trash and burn. Read links from FT on prudentbear.com as well.

PS when I hear news of dollar going down I think of their witty heading Got Enough Greenbacks Thanks lol.

#22     Jan 16, 2004
  3. The Economist is the best weekly magazine for news and cogent, insightful economic, political and financial analysis BAR NONE. The writing exemplifies English at its best, and makes even potentially dreary topics lively. Always insightful, always witty (you'll come to admire their unrelenting brilliance at puns), it is usually concise, and astonishingly wide-ranging in its coverage.

Sure, it doesn't cater to drooling morons, and once in a while you may find yourself reading and then re-reading densely written material that casually implies a solid grasp of basic Micro and Macroeconomic theory. But if you really want to know what's happening out there, the latest issue of the Economist should be a solid staple in your reading.

No, I don't own stock in the company, but I've read the Economist off and on (mostly on) since college, and I do consider it to be a few cuts above the usual trash offered by all of the other news magazines.

A subscription is expensive, but well worth the money IMHO.

#23     Jan 16, 2004
  4. If you want a world view on things nothing beats

Arts and Letters Daily

http://www.aldaily.com/

I have suggested making it a home page to so many and almost everyone has become a big fan.

#24     Jan 16, 2004
  5. #25     Jan 16, 2004
  6. That is why I always read it . The last page is the best it gives you a snapshot of world markets. Thats where I find many country trading ideas.

#26     Jan 16, 2004
  7. Babak

Babak

#27     Jan 16, 2004
  8. small comment to predictions of The Economist: in summer 2003 they predicted an almost immediate fall in housing prices all over Europe.
    As far as I know this did not happen. (correct me if I am wrong) In Spain (according to them one of the most risky countries), housing prices raised (again) more than 15%....:confused:

#28     Jan 17, 2004
  9. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

The Economist is an excellent piece for reading on global economic situations. It does not help you trade or become a great trader persa.

The Economist is like the Financial Times, as it covers global situations and is not written in a dumb-down language as the Wallstreet Journal.

University of Chicago B school, Wharton, Northwestern B school, all have their MBA Students subscribe to the economist. SO, its more like a intellectual read vrs a typical business rag.

It is elite in the sense of the standard it has for reporting and the style of writting with an indepth vocab.

I have a subsription.....but like i said...its more of a brain excersise and more informative on Global economic events.....however, I just descovered a great arbitrage play based on some news the Economist broke last issue....so you never know.

#29     Jan 17, 2004
  10. The Economist is certainly more for intellectual stimulation than anything else.

But I personally find that while I gain nothing of tradable value from the Economist, the articles are thought provoking, succint and daring - three things that keep my mind sharp for trading.

of course, if you do believe that the Economist is an intellectual leader in the journalist community, then opinions originating from the Economist should eventually cascade through the WSJ, BusinessWeek ... etc, accumulating readership of the opinion over time, which should then be partially converted into trading volume in the markets, which would suggest a momentum trade on Economist ideas.

#30     Jan 20, 2004