Anyone need a trading platform?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by cray, May 28, 2012.

1. cray

cray

We, a bunch of top programmers from yahoo/google/paypal, have built a trading platform for algorithmic traders. It provides historic and real-time feeds, indicators, and fundamental data for US and international equities (forex/future to be added soon). It also provide some charting and screening to visualize your results, but basically it's not a charting software.

This platform is provided as a web-service, not as a piece of software installed on your computers. This means two things: 1) you can use it with any programming languages, any operation system, and anywhere with Internet access. 2) you don't have to expose your strategies to some software installed on your computers.

We have done a lot of work filtering noise data from vendors, calculating the indicators at fastest possible speed, etc. Since we have done the heavyweight lifting, you can just focus on your own strategies and executions.

We haven't decided on the retail price for this platform. If you are interested, please PM me or post your questions here. We are especially interested in what features you want to see, and how much you can pay for the monthly subscription fee.

If there are enough interests in the forum, we will soon post links of demos with end-of-day-only data feed.

Best Regards!

2. This does not compute.

> have built a trading platform for algorithmic traders

Ok, so this is a platform. BUT:

> It also provide some charting and screening to visualize your results, but
    > basically it's not a charting software.

IT has visualization. Good. NOW it gets funny:

> This platform is provided as a web-service, not as a piece of software
    > installed on your computers.

Given that a web service has no UI, how do you show the chart? Where is the platform here? Gets nicer:

> you don't have to expose your strategies to some software installed on
    > your computers.

So, instead of a platform it isa complex web serivce API that I Have to provide the pletaform for? And it uses web services, intrinsically slow and bandwidth consuming. Hm... and I STILL need my own server otherwise you kill latency. Do you provide web service "Interfaces" at l all exchange locations? How do you keep latency in the sub millisecond area with permanent HTTP / XML encosding overhead - FIX is comlex to parse fast, but Web Services are hell.

> calculating the indicators at fastest possible speed,

How do you calcualte an idicator when I am not exposing the code for it? ;)

> Since we have done the heavyweight lifting, you can just focus on
    > your own strategies and executions.

And providing - the whole ruintime? Because sorry, web services make a quite crappy runtime environment?

I really do not want to sound negative here, but I fail to see the platform / see it is leaving me with most things to do?

Some demo would really be nice.

> with end-of-day-only data feed.

Scrap that - make it tick intraday, but not today, make it like ONE WEEK - some monthy in the past - ONLY. But end of day only is sort of the thing most people do not even bother looking at ;) Must be something one can play with.

What markets?

3. Not clear on the idea here.

Are you talking about a colo'ed chunk of hardware upon which people can put their own algo source code through a web interface?

4. cray

cray

Thanks for the feedbacks so far! Maybe the term platform is too vague. What we provide is more precisely a bunch of TCP/IP-based APIs that you can use to develop, backtest, and run your systems. We don't provide hardware to run your system, as you can get it from other vendors.

By web-service, we mean the functionality of the platform is provided by HTTP-based protocol, which is OS and language independent. Results are returned in either text or binary format. We have charting API to convert these results into images so that you can view it on your browser, your phone, or whatever devices.

We provide around 50 standard indicators as for now. In general if you use non-standard indicators you need to program them by yourself, in your own language, on your own machine. We may consider help code these customized indicators, if people pay for such deep-customization.

Some people are concerned about the speed. FYI, most API calls are returned in sub-second, but we don't expect any HFT traders using this service. It's more for swing or day-traders.

This service is for algo-traders who know programming. If you are not into programming, I am sure many people can sell you easy-to-follow buy/sell signals. Or, if you want even simpler solution, there are individuals and firms who can trade your money and take a cut :) But those are not our business model.

For demos, EOD will mostly likely be free or with a small charge. Intraday or tick data will be more expensive. It all depends on how many clients we can get and how much they can pay.

5. cray

cray

Thanks for the feedbacks so far! Maybe the term platform is too vague. What we provide is more precisely a bunch of TCP/IP-based APIs that you can use to develop, backtest, and run your systems. We don't provide hardware to run your system, as you can get it from other vendors.

By web-service, we mean the functionality of the platform is provided by HTTP-based protocol, which is OS and language independent. Results are returned in either text or binary format. We have charting API to convert these results into images so that you can view it on your browser, your phone, or whatever devices.

We provide around 50 standard indicators as for now. In general if you use non-standard indicators you need to program them by yourself, in your own language, on your own machine. We may consider help code these customized indicators, if people pay for such deep-customization.

Some people are concerned about the speed. FYI, most API calls are returned in sub-second, but we don't expect any HFT traders using this service. It's more for swing or day-traders.

This service is for algo-traders who know programming. If you are not into programming, I am sure many people can sell you easy-to-follow buy/sell signals. Or, if you want even simpler solution, there are individuals and firms who can trade your money and take a cut :) But those are not our business model.

For demos, EOD will mostly likely be free or with a small charge. Intraday or tick data will be more expensive. It all depends on how many clients we can get and how much they can pay.

6. post up a you tube and the link and lets dazzle the troops.

enuf of the chit chat, lets c what u got.

cheers,

s

:cool:

7. I concur with the prior poster, make a video of the web based algo service in action, and its features.

As an example look at the videos of TradersStudio and Ninjatrader, just to get an idea of how they present their software, including developing and optimizing strategies, and backtesting and walk forward testing/optimizing. etc etc

Some type of strategy wizard like that used in Ninjatrader would help you reach a broader customer base(especially those with little or no programming experience).

http://www.tradersstudio.com/Tutorials/TradersStudioInAction.aspx

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/index.html?tutorial_atm_strategy_example2.htm

8. What are you trading on it now? I assume you didn't just write a custom platform hoping just to sell it to people as a service.

9. lindq

lindq

Sounds like you're just trying to do a lean startup by testing for interest before you create anything.

Do you even have a product yet? If so, post a demo. Because thus far, your posts don't make your service/product very clear.

10. Sounds that way to me too.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just be upfront about it.

#10     Jun 1, 2012