Anyone move to Australia from the US?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by nravo, Oct 20, 2006.

1. yup esp wine. I think from memory that kiwitrader lives on the gold coast so he probably hates the annual influx of melbourne schoolies and their VB cans :p

#21     Oct 29, 2006
  2. LOL spider, I have to admit that discretion is the better part of valour. I stay out of Surfers and Broadbeach for a couple of weeks a year (for Americans Schoolies is the Aussie equivalent of Spring break for 17/18 year olds who are about to graduate from High School).

I do have a use for VB --- do they still make those really big cans? When I was a kid we used to go out onto the reef and collect 20mm canon shells. Then we'd pry the bullet heads off and pour the cordite into the big (300ml?) VB cans until they were about 1/3 full. At night we'd half bury them in the sand and then we'd stand back and throw matches at them. Great fireworks.

#22     Oct 29, 2006
  3. haha. thats cool. cant believe u used to find 20mm cannon shells on da beach. i wanna go get a shovel and go down to the beach and see whether theres any cannon shells leftover :p.

oh yeah and methinks itll be schoolies in a few weeks soon, exams finish november :p

#23     Nov 1, 2006
  4. I used to live on Tarawa ... beer from Aus ... shells from the USA (getting a bit old but still good for a show).

#24     Nov 1, 2006
  5. When did you move Kiwi? For some reason I thought you were in Auckland. Still doing the HSI?

#25     Nov 2, 2006
  6. Lived in Sydney for 5 years. Without a car is not really feasible. It can take 45 min to get to the beach from Paddington in the bus - and 10 min by car. Take a girl out in the bus or cab? No - its nothing at all like Manhattan - a car is essential. Used to live in Manhattan - better quality of life in Aus but I found the people somewhat cliquey, and a little stupid generally. If you want intellectual stimulation you need to really seek it out - NOT like Manhattan or London.

#26     Nov 2, 2006
  7. nravo

nravo

Thanks fo the input; I have been hearing this. I sense that it's a pleasant posting, not a hardship by any means and in many ways quite nice. But in terms of sophistication it is more West Virginia than Upper West Side. Friendly, unpretentious, but .... (And hey I was in JoBurg last year and you wanna talk about an undersirable place ....)

#27     Nov 2, 2006
  8. I spent 12 hours in JoBurg some years ago - long enough to get mugged. I escaped with just a strained back. My girlfriend end up with twenty stictches across her knee. Really frightening experience.

#28     Nov 2, 2006
  9. I went to Australia as a teenage exchange student many moons ago and was amazed by how clean the cities were and how it was safe to be walking in small groups through the rougher sections of town early in the morning. Plus, it was cool to be going to bars at 16.

Let's be real though. VB is ok but nothing to write home about. Neither is Bud for that matter.

#29     Dec 11, 2006