Anyone move to Australia from the US?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by nravo, Oct 20, 2006.

1. nravo

nravo

Thanks much. What do you know about Darling Island? Wife is looking at places there. Any Manhattan like places where a car wouldn't be mandatory for getting to and from entertainment, shopping, etc.?

#11     Oct 24, 2006
  2. In Sydney I know North Shore best. You should look at some of these -

- Lower North Shore: North Sydney, Milsons Pt, McMahons Pt, Lavender Bay, Kirrabilli, maybe Neutral Bay.

Also consider:

- Inner West: Balmain, Glebe and others.

- Eastern Suburbs: Paddington, Rose Bay and others

- Darling Harbour and the city itself also now has a lot of high rise apartments.

Not the same as Manhatten of course, but you don't have Sydney Harbour in Manhatten. I think there are quite few areas you could exist quite well without a car. There are some wonderfull places to visit around Sydney which are much easier to access by car but you could use a rental car for this.

I think there are more interesting places to live than Darling Harbour which is really not any different than so many redevelopment projects in cities around the world.

#12     Oct 24, 2006
  3. nravo

nravo

Another factor would be easy commutting to the airport, as the spouse will be doing a lot of business travel in AUS and NZ. That combined with easy walking access to stuff (as we may only have one car) and interesting neighborhood life are key. Something like a Sydney version of Kensington in London or Tribeca in NYC would be interesting.

#13     Oct 25, 2006
  4. Woollahra or Paddington for that sort of feel and lets be honest it aint that but pretty good

#14     Oct 25, 2006
  5. nravo

nravo

Thanks, mate.

#15     Oct 25, 2006
  6. See your even starting to sound aussie!!!

#16     Oct 25, 2006
  7. katesdp

katesdp

And enjoy the cold VB's

#17     Oct 25, 2006
  8. nravo

nravo

VBs. A type of beer, I imagine, no?

Followup question: Buying computer hardware down under, like three flat screen monitors and a computer, maybe $3K worth of stuff US. Is it substantially more expensive in Sydney? SHold I ship my own equipment or buy new there?

#18     Oct 27, 2006
  9. computer hardware pretty cheap in australia.

Remember where closer to china than u r, shipping costs less

VB is a beer and a damn good one at that. :p u yanks will never ever go back to Bud when u taste the concoction we've managed to come up with here in aus. Only computer jocks think VB is a programming language :p

#19     Oct 27, 2006
  10. 1. Bud isn't really beer.
    2. VB is held by only some to be a good beer.

but

3. Even if you don't like VB you have a multitude of beer and wine choices available.

#20     Oct 27, 2006