Anyone living & trading from an RV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xtrhvydty, May 4, 2008.

1. ammo

ammo

i tried sprint last year and could not get it to keep working,customer support was a joke,3 20 minute please hold til we give u the next operator who also says plwease hold,and on and on

#11     May 5, 2008
  2. I trade using AT&T wireless wherever I am. $55/mo unlimited. No noticeable difference from cable. Never tried it from an RV, though. Streaming music is the best connectivity warning. I also use audibles on many things. The one that pings often enough to be a connectivty alert is the spread.

#12     May 5, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Will the Mac book video card support 30" monitor?

#13     May 5, 2008
  4. I do and it can be done if you prepare. Before i got the sat dish installed I strictly used cell carriers. You must think about the logistics:

You'll most likely need 2. I use Sprint and Verizon. Both stream well and are fast enough to trade. If you're scalping ticks maybe not. I get evdo and evdo rev a within 5 - 10 miles of most cities with pop. of +100000.

Check out coverage maps of where you are likely to be.

Get PDA phones and tether rather than cards. Just as fast and you can install 3rd party charting software to keep you informed. Get extra batteries. Get one with built in wifi.

You have to be standing still for most sat dishes.

Most RV parks have internet - mostly wireless so you need a wifi card in your laptop. Check the wifi coverage in your assigned spot before you park (I use the PDA) and request to move if the signal sux. Have good firewall on the laptop due to public access.

Tailor your trading style to fit the logistics. I have many autotrading and on timeframes that I can still enjoy where I am. My trading systems send alerts to my PDA for all activities.

Instead of using additional monitors I have my laptop showing it's screen in the cabin's flat panel. This saves space and it faster to set up and break down. (1 wire).

Above all remember that if you tie yourself to you trading while out in your rig you're defeating the purpose of being in the rig in the first place.

#14     May 5, 2008
  5. Baywolf

Baywolf

#15     May 5, 2008
  6. I wouldn't exactly call it a "RV". It's more like a van down by the river.

#16     May 5, 2008
  7. ammo

ammo

i live in a 57 caddy down by the river,have a couple of chickens,2 poles,free worms under the magnolia tree,sandra dee's grandaughter lives 100 yrds away in a houseboat

#17     May 5, 2008
  8. That's livin' large.

#18     May 5, 2008
  9. ammo

ammo

my neighbors are envious

#19     May 5, 2008
  10. I just got approved for a home improvement loan, I'm getting new tires and an oil change.

#20     May 5, 2008