Anyone living (lived) in a pareado or adosado in spain?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by blueraincap, Apr 29, 2019.

1. If you restrict the language of instructions to English or a foreign curriculum (IB may be arguably an exception), you naturally restrict the population of schools and so the population of students in the country. For top private schools where local students across the country compete for a slot, the selection process naturally leads to a strong student body and so a solid foundation to pursue rigourous education. That's my logic and why I much prefer noninternational private schools. Of course, the historical education path of the children matters.

I can tell kids will be generally happier in Spain but I prefer bitter first sweet later.

#41     May 30, 2019
  2. luisHK

luisHK

Agree with what you wrote above, which brings me back to public schools, as in some countries several of the elite schools in the national language are public - that's the case where i head from and understood some public schools in Singapore are top notch as well.

Actually I restarted posting in this thread coz the academic year just finished here and the Map testing results are interesting. It shows the student results, the district average and the world average. I thought District meant that particular School but heard yesterday it means Asia Pacific International Schools : well, the District average in grade 7 Math ranks around the 81st percentile worldwide ?!? That seems very high, I'm affraid math level won't be that high even in a good IB school in Spain unfortunately, and would expect it to be higher in decent local east asian schools. Just fwiw.
    Also worthy of note my kids' school don't take the Science Map, which might be linked to a less than impressive science curriculum, but at least they take Language Usage and Reading, some of the International schools in the areas which are mostly loaded with mainland chinese families who managed to get a HK or another foreign ID for their kid don't even take the reading and language test...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    #42     Jun 14, 2019
  3. After some research, have decided to focus on Japan, Singapore, Montreal/Toronto for schools. Will try hk but not a high priority. Hk top schools are excellent but way too competitive, requiring things like music playing or some other shits that have no relevance. Now I know why some banking friends play saxophone or some craps.

#43     Jun 14, 2019
  4. Re your comments on petty crimes, I had my incident today in Cantabria. Was playing in a river with my dog and left my bag (driver license/car key/20euro) in the riverbank. There were people on the bridge above and nobody was down around the river, besides some workers in a fish puerto nearby. After 5mins or so I heard some noise and realised someone previously on the bridge was down here and running away towards the puerto. Sensed something wrong and found my bag gone, so started chasing the guy for 300 meters and grabbed him. He wouldn't let it go and kept cursing for 5mins so I decided to have a fight, which wasn't difficult as he was some drug addict. He unfortunately wasn't on drug that time so took some time to take him to the ground and having to chase and fight on barefeet didn't help.

I am very surprised how people didn't help at all and just stood by watching as if it is just another pickpocket thing and none of their business. The theft ran past many puerto workers and I asked them to stop him, they just watched and did absolutely nothing. They watched from a distance and offered absolutely no help and I had to take the man down all by myself to get my bag back. In all places I have lived, I am sure people would help stop and chase the theft, possibly beating him together which I would do.

#44     Jun 20, 2019
    drmark27 likes this.
  5. luisHK

luisHK

Man you're still fit, I'd be in trouble if had to run 300m for it, more so barefoot :(
    Glad it came out OK for you, and indeed non violent crime is a real hassle in Spain ime. The Spaniards don't even have foreigners to blame for it, they seem to be doing pretty good themselves.
    i'm trying to envision the scene and it really sucks, it's not like you seemed to be walking in a heavily populated tourist area.
    The fact you are an obvious foreigner probably didn't encourage locals to help you, i wonder if they would have acted differently for another stranger who looked more local (dunno ?!? in many areas it is considered relatively acceptable to rip off foreigners)
    Not sure where you lived before but i'd expect a similar indiference from locals when foreigners, especially males, are in trouble in many places, in Europe (beginning with the area where I come from, and in villages, people from different provinces might as well be foreigners) as well as in emerging Asia.
    Again glad you came out OK, break ins are a reason I'd avoid living in detached house in an area without extra security, especially as a family travelling quite a bit.
    Cute dog btw !

#45     Jun 20, 2019
  6. I didn't want any trouble and would it him go if he just gave up my bag, as was on barefoot and holding a camera. Now my foot is hurting from some kicking but I regret I didn't beat him more seriously (only took him down but didn't beat him). My dog was still in the river so couldn't take him to the police and let him off. I knew party crimes are rampant in Europe but didn't expect total indifference from folks who could so easily help. Those workers were just talking while the theft ran past them. Some guy said he saw the whole thing but simply stood by watching the fight. Completely terrible and big disappointment about the attitude. I would definitely help, barring obvious danger, strangers or tourists as it is a no-brainer right thing to do. However I agree and expect indifference in southeast Asia and undeveloped countries as the population is uncilvilized. In civilized Asia and other developed world, I expect people to help. After grabbing the theft, I yelled towards the workers to call the policia but they just did nothing, so maybe southern Europe is an exception to my expectation

The guy was about 40 or so and obviously a local btw. Now I am surprised I could grab him on barefoot, wet pants and started 50 meters late from a river

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    #46     Jun 20, 2019
  7. luisHK

luisHK

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-house-police-recording-home-o-a8969831.html

Are you sure the walls are much thicker in England? A neighbour managed to record the domestic dispute from Boris Johnson who I assume lives in a very posh house.
    Fwiw Paris downtown apartments are horrible noise wise, even the very expensive ones, althoughthe few more recent buildings Might be better. can t even opt for an attico as the maid quarters are on the highest floors, now used as cheap studios where a student couple or even a whole migrant family might be living

#47     Jun 22, 2019
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I've seen similar acts of people doing nothing...walking away or just flat out turn their head and openly state they do not want to get involve in South Korea, Germany, Italy, France, U.S., Canada, Portugal and Brazil when I was on vacation or in the military.

In contrast, usually the first to act or get involved was someone in the armed forces that happen to be there also as a tourist. One of the key is the call for "help"...its got to be hysterical and loud to signal its an emergency.

I saw a documentary/research about crime and other types of emergency situations in front of people even when they are just a few feet away (bystander apathy)...something to do with social psychology of a crowd that are eyewitnesses to a crime or emergency in front of them.

If they feel its petty crime and not an emergency...people are less likely to get involved even if you call out for help especially when others nearby see the same thing and react the same way (doing nothing but watch)...its not an emergency to them too.

Also, if the crowd of bystanders view you as someone that looks like you can take care of yourself or that they see you become "offensive" to take action yourself...they are less likely to come to your aid.

I can use a real life situation. My son is like a fish in water. He's an expert swimmer in the back yard pool, local swim pools, the oceans, rivers and even easily out swims his friends that are on the swim team.

One day at a water park, some kid was struggling in the water even with a lifeguard nearby...friends or people with the kid...friends that were nearby...they were laughing and didn't take it serious. Not one of them took action.

I actually saw the lifeguard pay more attention to the friends laughing and not take any emergency action. My son and I were the first in the water and swimming towards the kid struggling in the water and only then did the lifeguard jump in to do the same.

We learned soon after that the kid had a huge cramp in his lower back and one of his legs.

I strongly believe had we not jumped into the water (taken action)...that lifeguard would have continue believing it was not an emergency situation until she saw that kid sunken to the bottom of the pool.

There's another issue involving documentation of the an emergency situation by the bystanders. You'll be surprise at how many people have the first reaction to go to their cell phone to record a video instead of getting involved due to the fact if they get involved...they can not record the emergency situation.

I've actually seen stories on TV by bystanders that said the reason why they didn't do anything was because they wanted to make sure they recorded the situation so that the police will have video evidence...essentially they thought they were doing the right thing via standing by doing nothing so that they can record.

We're not talking about some little old lady in a wheel chair with a cell phone. We're talking about people that look like they can hold their weight in a good street fight.

You're lucky you weren't a women and being raped...you'll be surprised at how many people will do exactly the same while watching from the crowd...waiting for someone else to take action to signal its an emergency situation.

Yet, I guarantee there will be a few with their cell phone out to record what was happening with the illusion they are helping when the police arrive.

Serious, why do neighbors call the fire department when they see their neighbor's home engulfed in flames...they don't want their own house to catch fire too from the hot ambers coming from the other house. :rolleyes:

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    #49     Jun 28, 2019
    luisHK likes this.
  9. d08

d08

Same goes on in the Baltics. I had a group of heroin addicts attempt to rob me at knife-point on the bus. Bus full of middle aged women, no-one came to help. Luckily I managed to distract them by being loud and could escape.
    Funnily enough, people in Asia are far more helpful.

#50     Jun 28, 2019