Anyone know of a good emini S&P 500 System?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Tricky1on1, Apr 22, 2009.

1. I just replied to the first post that caught my eye on the forums home page.
    I think it was the 1st or 2nd post.
    Dave

#11     Nov 13, 2009
  2. wartrace

wartrace

Why bother with e-mini's- just trade the underlying index (the dollar index- DX)
    The e-minis are moving with the dollar index so you'll have to watch the dollar anyways- why bother with the e-mini at all?

#12     Nov 13, 2009
  3. Because they won't always be positively correlated.
    oops, 2nd post in 5 years.
    Dave

#13     Nov 13, 2009
  4. Thanks Dave... very helpful

I use a 33 and 66 sma cross then pullback. do you think there is an advantage using a 3 MA cross?

how does it perfom in choppy markets?

what time frame do you use it on?

#14     Nov 13, 2009
  5. Dave/Tricky it would appear as if you're having a conversation with yourself.

#15     Nov 13, 2009
  6. What?

#16     Nov 15, 2009
  7. The pullback happens before the cross. ALso MA crosses are real-time and don't lock in till close of the bar. This means you will most likely miss the pullback and the strategy can become a losing strategy in the long run!:mad:

#17     Nov 15, 2009
  8. Okay, I wouldn’t say that the pullback always happens before the cross..because it doesn’t. And when it does, I have a pattern for that. I call that a First Thrust. You’re looking for a sharp thrust in the direction of the new trend (and contra to the old trend) followed by the first pullback. Ideally, you want setups coming off of MAJOR highs/lows. See attached. 1 major low, 2 sharp thrust, 3 FIRST pullback, 4 entry on resumption of trend.

Now, back to Bowties. Because of lag, 99% of the time I use a blank chart (no indictors). However, even with their lag, moving averages do have their uses. With the Bowties, sometimes they can catch a gradual change in trend. The market goes through a distribution phase and then the new trend begins.
    As far as testing out mechanically, you’re right. I’d bet that they don’t. I’m not a mechanical trader through. For stocks, I look for sector and market confirmation. As far as an index trade, I don’t day trade, but if I did, I’d look for bigger picture confirmation (e.g. daily chart). You want to pick the best of the best setups. You want some sort of confirmation in addition to the pattern. And, once you catch an elusive trend, you ride it out longer-term.

Dave

#18     Nov 16, 2009
  9. Ooops, chart didn't attach.
    Dave

• 9.5.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
    #19     Nov 16, 2009
  10. "Davelandry" is my real name
    my email is dave at davelandry.com

Don't know who Tricky is. Ask him.