Anyone know how to save streaming video?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Babak, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Babak

Babak

Well, that's what I'm trying to do. There's streaming video from nbr.com which I want to save but I can't left click or get the Save screen to come up. It just automatically puts up Windows Media Player and plays the video/audio.

mms://68.251.204.5/video/nbr/wmm.wmv%20

Thanks

2. Babak

Babak

3. DTK

DTK

I know it has nothing to do with trading, but it's on a similar software question. Is there any way to save streaming video from sources like launch.yahoo.com or music.msn.com for music videos?

Thanks.

4. Well, in many cases, website admins don't necessarily want their valuable (or not) multi-media content downloaded and make it difficult for you. Disable right-click menu... disquise true file names and directory structure... force you to use their proprietary player... employ uncommon or tricky protocols... use Macromedia Flash... etc. In other cases, the difficulty in downloading content may be perfectly unintentional.

Fortunately, if you know what you're doing, most of those challenges can be overcome, for a successful download.

Any time you see a streaming video link beginning with :mms (Microsoft Media Services protocol), you will not be able to download it with any mainstream browser (Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, IE, etc.) or even most download managers. Here's a good tool for the job: a nice download manager called Net Transport.

http://www.xi-soft.com/default.htm

It is $25 shareware, but can be used in free mode indefinitely, if you don't mind the nag screen and a couple of (unimportant) advanced features disabled. It handles :mms files (among many other types) easily, in my and others' experience. As a quick test, I've just downloaded and test-played the one you want quickly... give it a go and let me know if you still have any trouble.