Anyone know a good place to start for Commodity jobs in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Martim, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Martim

Martim

Not exactly. Maybe Pit Trading, but def not electronic trading or the actual physical trade of commodities...Chicago is perfectly situated for this type of thing.

#21     Jul 11, 2019
  2. Martim

Martim

You think they post these jobs on their corporate website? I really only see Operations jobs and truck driver jobs there...

#22     Jul 11, 2019
  3. Martim

Martim

Almost everything I have seen is quantitative and C++ / Python related...looks like I may have to take a Programming class at my community college here in Miami :)

#23     Jul 11, 2019
  4. ETJ

ETJ

"You think they post these jobs on their corporate website? I really only see Operations jobs and truck driver jobs there..."

Their site, Bloomberg, eFinancial careers and about a have dozen other places. Why don't you clarify what you are looking for? Commodity trader.school recommendation, or just getting into a firm trading? You mentioned you at one time traded for a French Firm - if you have a friend there have them check a Bloomberg for Chicago based commodity positions. You'll find hundreds, but most won't be right for you, but clarify what you want to do.

#24     Jul 11, 2019
    Martim likes this.
  5. ETJ

ETJ

6. Martim

Martim

Thanks, but wait...you mentioned Bloomberg. I don't have access to that, I use an ICE screen. They have job postings on their terminal ?

#26     Jul 11, 2019
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

#27     Jul 11, 2019
    Martim and ETJ like this.
  8. ETJ

ETJ

Make a friend that has access to a Bloomberg terminal and I would create a sense of urgency to looking - a ton of DB guys are out there now.

#28     Jul 11, 2019
    Martim likes this.
  9. bone

bone

The challenge is that GS and the other IB's are closing down their commodity desks - so there's a surplus of experienced talent looking at the moment.

With your current Sugar trading experience I would contact a Chicago financial industry headhunter. Louis Dreyfus and Glencore would be at the top of my list, but that is a very tough get and they don't have a Chicago office that I know of.

#29     Jul 11, 2019
    Martim likes this.
  10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

the thing is "if you can make money" and you want a job lol you can get one no problem.

i did it anyone can "let your trades be your resume" and the offers will come.

then one day you will wake up and realize you don't need a job, but you will never regret your time served.

#30     Jul 11, 2019