Anyone know a good covered call service

Discussion in 'Options' started by 64c2, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Rearden Metal, you're being kind to me. Actually, in this example, 100% of my entire $6.91 investment is at risk, should AGIX go to zero.

Yes, I have studied the company and its financial statements, especially the Form 10K released on March 8th. I have made a considered decision to accept that risk. Apparently you feel otherwise. Think what the markets would be like if everyone shared the same opinion.

Bob

#51     Mar 10, 2007
  2. Bob...sorry I'm not jumping on your case...however you did say in one of your messages that a "good" broker won't let you sell naked..or something to that effect. I believe good smart option brokers WILL let you sell naked puts, which just gives you more options (no pun intended) to work with. Although my above suggestion is a spread just in case the equity does go belly up. If you believe that it won't then the naked put is really a pretty good deal right now.

#52     Mar 10, 2007
  3. Thanks Richard. Actually, Schwab is a good broker, yet they "currently" (their choice of words) don't allow uncovered Put writing inside their IRAs.

Schwab has made a decision at the executive level to actively pursue a big slice of the growing option trader market. My thinking is that they will take a closer look at everything once the new margin requirements become effective April 2.

Bob

#53     Mar 10, 2007
  4. I am pretty sure that Schwab recently announced cash-secured put writing in their IRA's. Although I have not tried to do so yet.

Don

#54     Mar 11, 2007
  5. Don, Schwab's IRA policy is set forth at:

http://www.schwabat.com/Options_Trading/IRA.aspx

----------------------

There it says, "Currently, we allow approved clients to write covered calls and engage in long calls and puts in select IRAs. "

Perhaps they have not yet updated their site.

Bob

#55     Mar 11, 2007
  6. In early Dec they sent me an email announcing the cash-secured put ability in an IRA. I guess their web site has not yet been changed.

Don

#56     Mar 11, 2007
  7. Don, thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Bob

#57     Mar 12, 2007
  8. spindr0

spindr0

LOL. I think that Richard was suggesting that from a risk/reward potential, the Apr 10/2.5 vertical spread was a better bet than the covered call.

#58     Mar 13, 2007
  9. thanks that was what I meant...the fear is the stock going belly up which the spread at least limits the loss which you would experience with the CC or the naked put.

#59     Mar 14, 2007
  10. nikko309

nikko309

The AGIX news is in. The good news is that the stock didn't go to zero. The bad news is obvious.

As a follow up, from a risk/reward perspective, your suggestion was on the money. At present, the Apr 10/2.5 vertical would have lost less than 1/2 of what the covered call under discussion lost. C'est la vie.

#60     Mar 19, 2007