Anyone is trading Forex? 50:1?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by PKJR, Apr 17, 2001.

1. With regards to MatchbookFX, I can say they have great liquidity and they are open to all. A large portion of the trading there is by hedge funds and institutions. They have recently signed up some very large banks. The bottom line is the market is deep and fair.

Best,

Mike

#11     Apr 19, 2001
  2. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

Thanks Mike, that is good to hear. If they can get the banks online and using it, then we may have a winner. Do you know if they publish their volume numbers? Do you trade with them? If so, what kind of spreads are you seeing, and does it vary throughout the day or is the liqudity there all the time?

Kirk

#12     Apr 19, 2001
  3. Hi Kirk,

I don't trade the FX, but some of my close friends and associated do. So I follow the seen a little.

With regards to Matchbook, from what I've hear they have been checked out by the Fed and the managment has the highest integrity.

The market is usually 3 to 5 pips wide,
    during violent market moves it can have gaps like EBS
    but for the most part there are always tight spreads
    and dealable prices. The average posted bid or offer
    is 1 buck but I have seen 3-4 bucks up in slow
    markets. They used to publish volume but they
    recently upgraded their technology and the new system
    does not publish volume numbers. I think they do
    around a half a yard a day. I have seen in articles
    where they quote that they do between $250 M and $300
    M a day. Liquidity isn't really an issue because you
    can post your own bid or offer so you have the
    advantage of being a price taker or a price maker.
    The new system also has a anonomous request for quote
    feature that allows every market participant to
    respond to a customers request for quote. That
    feature helps in violent markets like yesterday. They
    are much closer to equity trading systems than anything
    else in the market.

Best,

Mike

#13     Apr 20, 2001
  4. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

Thanks Mike. Looks like its getting better, I'll keep an eye on it.

Kirk

#14     Apr 20, 2001
  5. def

def Sponsor

What about the currency futures on Globex? You may want to look into trading them.

#15     Apr 20, 2001
  6. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

def,

Do you know what times of day they are actively traded on globex? The appeal of spot forex is the 24 hr liquidity and the ability to trade non-traditional hours. I have not done a lot of research into the globex contracts.

thanks,

Kirk

#16     Apr 21, 2001
  7. def

def Sponsor

I think the same as globex (23+ hours) but I'll confirm here on Monday.

#17     Apr 21, 2001
  8. trinfo

trinfo

I have been told by a futures broker that the currency futures are not nearly as liquid as the spot market, but that something called "exchange-for-physical" works around that problem.

AFAIK there is no leverage advantage going from underlying -> futures in currencies, so the only reason might be if you couldn't find a spot broker you could trust.

#18     Apr 22, 2001
  9. def

def Sponsor

confirmed, they trade the same hours as the e-minis. Yes they are not always very liquid but there is size at times. If you put a decent price out you will get hit. The advantages seem to be not trading against the house (giving up the spread) and doing it in a regulated environment.

#19     Apr 22, 2001
  10. def

def Sponsor

wareagle,
    I'm not sure if your an IB client or not. If so, you'll be able to put/trade the Globex Futures on your screen (the symbols are on the website). I put a few on my screen to check out the overnight markets and was surprised to see decent markets and liquidity in most of the overnight contracts. Thus I assume it is better during the day.

For what it's worth this is what I observed:
    e.g. typical euro market was 15-20 up 1-3 tics wide

the markets did fluctuate between .0001 and .0005 ticks but they did move and they did trade.

#20     Apr 23, 2001