Anyone into collecting wristwatches as a hobby?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by a529612, Oct 12, 2007.

1. #21     Sep 21, 2012
  2. How about pocketwatches? I don't like wearing watches. I have been using my phone for the past few years, but recently inherited 6 pocketwatches. They are all over 60 years old, and couple maybe quite a bit older. I am going to start researching them in the next couple weeks. If anyone is interested I will post pictures, but it will probably be a few weeks before I get to it.

#22     Sep 21, 2012
  3. Cool, I inherited a few pocket watches from my Grandfather, also. Unfortunately, they were the mass produced kind with only a coating of gold-- not worth much other than sentimental value. There are a few out there worth serious coin, but they are few and far between. i was shocked to find out how much junk was made back in the 1800's-- thought for sure if it was that old must be worth a fortune, but I discovered that's far from the case.
    Good luck! surf

#23     Sep 21, 2012
  4. Yea, that maybe the case. It will be worth the time just figuring out how old they are, and hoping they may be worth something. To be honest I probably will keep them and pass them on if they are worth something or not. My Dad left all kinds of treasures that I think he thought would be fun to find. Most are merely sentimental, but at least one so far has had a nice value. He left some Confederate money from individual states, and apparently has a value. I paid to have it appraised and am kind of shocked. No, I won't retire from trading, but it may help at least one kid with college tuition. Good stuff and a treasure hunt, but things like the pocketwatches I am inclined to keep, as I enjoy them.

#24     Sep 21, 2012
  5. I will add if one is worth something ridiculous I am not that sentimental, I will sell it to buy a plane.:D

#25     Sep 21, 2012
  6. That's a great story. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your quest to value! surf

#26     Sep 21, 2012
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

When purchased carefully I think they can be a good investment.

About 7 years ago I bought a 1933 Rolex Masonic art deco tank watch and paid $1700 for it. I recently had it serviced and the dealer offered me $4500 so I believe there is some appreciation occurring with the nicer vintage watches.

There is something fascinating about mechanical watches.

#27     Sep 21, 2012