Anyone interview with Optiver?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by rbenedict, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Ishan

Ishan

Hello,
    I have spend some couple of hours trying to solve these sequences.
    Can anyone help me out.

15,29,56,108,208 possible answers: 396, 401, 416, 438

16,16,24,36,54 possible answers: 86, 76, 81, 72

18,6,24,8,28 possible answers: 9,9 1/3, 10, 8

144, 73, 14,8,236 possible answers 118,119, 120,96

Appriciate all help and tips

Regards

#51     Jun 1, 2009
  2. Mecro

Mecro

Kid, it's not that complicated.

Grab a piece of paper & a pen, write them out, note the numerical changes from sequential numbers. The basic patten either has to do with the change from one number to the other or taking the previous number and turning it into the next one. Or it's the combination of two.

#52     Jun 1, 2009
  3. jimbo320

jimbo320

At a guess either Ork or AQTOR.

Or Probably both....

Custom solution.

#53     Jun 1, 2009
  4. B) they also hardly ever make money in trading. And I say this by having seen tons of those guys coming and leaving the sell-side prop desks I worked at over the years. Most of the time such guys either severely lack people skills or they can't get over the fact that markets are most of the time chaotic and irrational, something that profoundly contradicts the world of thought they live in.

After many years I still dont have the slightest clue why some firms believe the interview process such as at Optiver is the most efficient in screening capable candidates. Most of the essential "ingredients" needed to be successful in this profession remain completely untested. My best guess is that some of the old-timers were put through such grilling process and believe everyone working for them has to go through the same. Ridiculous and backward looking to say the least...

Heck why are some of you even so obsessed with this beyond 3rd tier market maker? Sounds to me its a lot easier to get into GS/SAC/the like than this firm. Right now they play god tomorrow when everyone is hiring again everyone will just laugh at them and their funny recruiting circus.

#54     Jun 1, 2009
  5. Mecro

Mecro

1) Answer is 400, not on ur list. 208x2 - 2^4

2) 81. 54x2-54/2. Sequence starts with the 2nd number, otherwise I'm wrong.

3) 8. I simply drew out the pattern of change to the 2nd level.

4) That's a good one, not sure yet.

#55     Jun 1, 2009
  6. ?.....difficulty on your part doesn't mean impossibility on someone else's part. :cool:

#56     Jun 1, 2009
  7. from what I heard shops like Optiver ended up taking whoever was left after the big names made their picks and now they give people this x-number of quizz interview bs just because they can afford to do so. This does not stike you as being odd?

If you had any institutional trading work experience you would not have to attack someone personally but rather agree (like everyone on the sell-side) that the skill set of someone scoring almost perfectly on those tests is completely opposed to being able to profitably make markets in, lets say index options.

Shops like Optiver have nothing to show for (base salary sucks, bonus structure sucks, work environment has a 3rd tier or lower touch to it with some kids running around in sneakers and coffee stained t-shirts) so of course they have to uphold this reputation of a firm that only employs the brightest. If you ever worked professionally in finance you would know about the window dressing and political bs that is played.

If an environment like Optiver is something you strive in then go ahead, nobody is holding you back but its not everyone's cup of tea and other shops certainly will allow for more profit potential. Just my 2 cents from having worked on the sell side for xx+ years. Take it or leave it..

#57     Jun 1, 2009
  8. 1) You must have scored in the low-40's on the first test.
    2) Some sour grapes would go well with your sushi. :cool:

#58     Jun 2, 2009
  9. nobody forces you to think critically or forces you to be careful with making wrong assumptions. But I do like sushi ;-)

#59     Jun 2, 2009
  10. 1) I'm batting 2-for-2!
    2) I thought Asian people are supposed to be "good" at math. :cool:

#60     Jun 2, 2009