Anyone interview with Optiver?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by rbenedict, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Nexidus, can you let us know what they ask during the final round interniew? We really don't need to know anything about options/futures? What do they ask then?
    I had three tests and a small interview this morning. I'm waiting for their reply now.

#11     Sep 23, 2006
  2. I have the Optiver math exam coming up soon and have been trying to figure out what exactly is on it to no prevail. Of course I have a general understanding of what to expect but I know there are individuals out there that have recently taken it and could provide the specifics that I wish to know. This is the situation: I have a degree in Economics and Mathematics...So much can be covered in the three exams that is why i want to know what exactly covered. For example, in the first exam (80 Q's in 8 min) - is this addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, combinations of the above functions and then to what extent do they take these. For example are all the questions real numbers < 100 (i.e. 12+12, 72/12, 89-74...) or do they extend them out to the nth place (i.e. 55453/45, 68768-55435, 4545/76-6777/34....) For the second exam (series and sequences) what do you have to know: do you have to just tell if it converges or diverges, or what the exact value it converges to, or are you given n terms and have to come up with the equation that would give you that series... I know nothing about the third exam so any info would help. Are they all multiple choice? What is the actual interview like?
    Thank you in advance to all who reply...I really want this job so any info that is provided would be greatly appreciated.
    Michael

#12     Sep 24, 2006
  3. gentinex

gentinex

I recently took the Optiver numerical tests, and thought I would proivde some more info on what exactly the tests entail, for those on this forum who may be taking them in the near future.

The first test is an 80-question, 8-minute arithmetic multiple-choice test---yes, that means 6 seconds a question! I came in expecting a lot of complicated arithmetic---multiplying a pair of two- or three-digit numbers together, dividing a four-digit number by a two-digit number, etc.---but the questions were easier than that. Typical questions might be: 54 - 29 = ?, 84/6 = ?, (5/3) / ? = 4/3, 0.078/0 .006 = ?, 2/3 - ? = 1/6. Sometimes the answers are not written in reduced form, so, e.g., when you calculate an answer of 6, you'll have to read the choices and find, e.g., 72/12.

If you're American, you should note that they always use commas where we used periods for decimals---so the above example would actually have been written 0,078/0,006---and they sometimes use colons where we use bars or slashes for fractions---so 6:3 = 2. They did explain this adequately before administering the test, but I still found it slightly annoying.

The first test is scored as follows: each correct answer gets you one point. Any questions left blank at the end of the test get you zero points. Each incorrect answer or blank answer in the middle of the test (as opposed to the end of the test), penalize you one point. So it's in your best interests to work the test from start to finish, and not jump around. The passing score is usually somewhere around 54 or 55, and the passing rate is reportedly 15%.

In terms of preparing for the test, I think there's really no better way to do so than just practicing doing lots of calculations in your head, and doing them quickly---having to write calculations on paper will slow you down a lot. I myself did not use any of the given scratch paper at all, but I did see a number of unsuccessful test-takers who had written down a lot of stuff. You should be able to add and subtract any two two-digit numbers. For multiplication and division, I think that if you know how to multiply any two numbers up to 15, you should be fine, and if you're ambitious, knowing up to 25 is even better. The denominators of fractions are usually single-digit or small double-digit numbers, so be comfortable with those. For decimals, just make sure you know what's going on with decimal places: for example, 0.05 - 0.004 is 0.046, not 0.01, or 0.6 * 0.03 = 0.018.

In terms of actually doing drills, if you know how to generate random numbers from a computer or calculator, it should be pretty easy for you to come up with ways to test yourself on the topics above. One book I highly recommend reading is "How to Calculate Quickly" by Henry Sticker, which has a lot of good drills on fast calculation, although as I suggested above, I was kind of overprepared after reading this book. I really like this book because it has a very general philosophy on how to calculate anything quickly---in contrast, most books and sites I have looked at only teach you how to do very special calculations quickly, e.g., how to multiply a number by 25?, how to divide by 5?, etc. I should mention, though, that the book does have some weaknesses compared to the actual Optiver test: it doesn't discuss multiplication or division of decimals, and the drills on fraction arithmetic were a little easier than what was on the Optiver test, so I was a little slow on these areas in the actual test.

If you pass the 8-minute numerical test, you are invited to take two more numerical tests on the spot, and have a short interview with the HR people who are administering the test. I think that in general, the people who pass the first test usually don't have problems passing the second and third tests (which, in my opinion, have slightly more generous minimum passing scores). But I'll say a thing or two about the latter two tests anyways.

The second test (I have heard that the order of the last two tests may sometimes be different from what I had) is a sequences test: given a sequence of numbers, what's the next number in the sequence? Some examples: 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, ?; 6, 24, 12, 48, 24, 72, ?. It has 26 questions to be done in 30 minutes. The scoring is a little different from the first test: you're penalized one point for wrong answers, but you're not penalized at all for any blank answers, so it's fine to jump around and figure out what problems you can do. The passing score is around 12.

The third test is pretty similar to the first test in that it's arithmetical multiple-choice again, but now it's 40 questions in 10 minutes (so 15 seconds a question---I had time to check some of my answers on this one!). The scoring system is the same as the first test (work from beginning to end, and get penalized for wrong or skipped answers in between), and the passing score is around 24. The questions are sometimes a little different from the first, in that they're not all just straight calculations, but in the end, the calculations still never got that complicated. For example: what value must go in the blank so that the following equality is true: (4/?) / (?/16) = 4. Also, the answers are a little deceptive, in that now you always want to choose the simplest form of the answer: so sometimes you'll see, say, both 16/10 and 8/5 as answers, but the former answer is considered wrong.

After the three tests, you have a short interview with the test administrators, who are usually HR people. Hopefully, you know how to deal with the standard questions they ask: why trading / finance, are you competitive?, what do you like to do in your free time, etc. And if that goes all right, you're invited to their final rounds onsite. Their main operations are in Chicago, Amsterdam and Australia (Sydney I'd guess?), and they seem to be trying to get people to work in their headquarters in Amsterdam, although it seems like if you really wanted to, you could begin your employment elsewhere

#13     Oct 13, 2006
  4. what if you don't pass??

#14     Mar 5, 2007
  5. qentenix-Thanks for posting that review. While I have no interest in working for Optiver or prop for that matter, at this point, I appreciate the reference to the book on fast math. That is just what I need. One of my weaknesses in trading is actually fast math, since I never like math in school.

#15     Mar 5, 2007
  6. If you don't pass, work harder prepare your self and try for IMC, liquid capital, Susquehana or Timberhill.

#16     Mar 20, 2007
  7. Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I happened to see and might be interested.

80 questions in 8 minutes seems a bit rough, but if all it is, is adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing 2 digit numbers, I can do those kinds of problems in 2 seconds flat, hell I remember in elementary school I could add 2 digit numbers in less then 6 seconds.

If you pass this math exam, are you pretty much going to get the job? Because I think that I could pass that with ease.

And what kind of jobs does Optiver have, and what do they pay? I'm actually looking for a derivatives related job.

#17     Apr 15, 2007
  8. curtains

curtains

Its not as easy as it sounds, as they mix up the questions to throw off your rythm. There might be five simple addition questions, then a fractions subtraction question where the answer is not in simplest form, this causes a delay in your thinking and then causes you to wonder if you got that question right as you rush through the next ten.

I have passed both the optiver and IMC tests - just buy a book on mental arithmetic and the maths part is easy.

However, you do need a high spatial and pattern recognition IQ, which will be tested. This is due to the requirement of you being able to rotate complex pay-offs in your head on the job and estimate greek risk.

The tests are designed to cut the crap applicants who are wannabe market makers. If tests are passed, then you will probably have an entire day where they test your reaction to stress, negotiation, motivation. You will also need to demonstrate your ability to pick out important information that and remember and regurgitate that information hours or days later.

You do not need to have any options knowledge, but being able to list the inputs for a B-S model may show your interest.

Regards,

#18     Apr 19, 2007
  9. Curtains,

Did you have the final interviews with either company?

If so, did you receive any job offers yet?

Good Luck!!

#19     Apr 19, 2007
  10. hi,
    i have an onsite interview with optiver in chicago, will be meeting the head of trading and a few market makers. does anyone know what to expect.
    thanks a lot.
    uclatrader

#20     May 15, 2007