Anyone interview with Optiver?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by rbenedict, Aug 9, 2006.

1. rbenedict

rbenedict

Just got invited for the numerical test and was wondering what to expect from the company. I've already taken a few from other firms and they have all been pretty similiar, but this one seems different. I guess the first test is 8 minutes in length, and if I pass it then I continue on to the second test, and then hopefully the third. Takes about an hour they said.

Thanks in advance!

2. search the forum for "optiver" you'll find plenty of posts regarding this. good luck. btw, normally on the test day there is about 35 candidates and normally 2 past the first part of the test. only if you past the first part, you will then do part 2 and 3 of the test. so that's some idea of how many people actually reach the interview stage. if u reached the interview stage, cover every page of Hull, know the greeks, and know every market number on the day.

hope that helps.

3. nexidus

nexidus

.. and took the job.

You DON'T need to read Hull, nor do you need to have any knowledge of what the market is doing on the day. Knowing what an option is would come in handy, but not essential. As long as you seem keen and confident (with an aggressive streak), you'll do fine.

I can't believe everyone here battles so hard with the maths test though - it's pretty simple. If anyone is thinking of applying, then it might be a good idea to get in contact with me before you go in - I can give you some pointers.

4. chinmay

chinmay

hi nexidus,
    can you give some pointers for the interview... i have mine scheduled in some time...

5. Could you help with some pointers for the Optiver numerical test?

Thanks in anticipation.

6. NEXIDUS – I have the numerical test with Optiver coming up soon. I have a degree in Economics with an emphasis in Mathematics. Any information you could give me on all three exams and the following interview would be great. I have the test soon so I hope to hear from you in the very near future.

7. Peyman

Peyman

Hello, first post here. I also have a testmeeting with Optiver on the 31st. Despite an economics/business degree, my maths is v.poor. What books can one read to bring up my numerical skills? Also what is this Hull I keep hearing about? Many thanks.

8. bilalsm81

bilalsm81

hey can anyone tell me what to expect at the test session...what do i need to work on to prepare for it?

9. StreamlineTrade

StreamlineTrade Guest

May I suggest forgetting about reading books. Odd this seems to be your first thought of escape.

You say you need numerical skills. Your maths is not good. Back to basics.

Do you think working at Optiver will require quick mental arithmatic, and your exam will test this? If so, practise mental arithmetic, rather than reading about it.

Kids today! tsk tsk.

10. webbo83

webbo83

I did the tests recently.

First test is rapid mental arithmetic. VERY simple sums, but 80 questions in 8 minutes is hard in anyone's book. They reckon only 5% pass this stage. If you weren't good at times tables in primary school, then you're no hope of getting through this stage.

Second test is more difficult mental arithmetic, less questions and a little bit more time.

Third test is a sequence. With these, you can either get them, or you won't. You can't learn how to find patterns in what may look like random numbers, my only tip would be to try and work backwards through the patterns because sometimes this makes things stand out a bit more.

I'm just waiting to hear back from them now....

#10     Sep 15, 2006