Anyone in Aruba?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by mercurial, Jul 7, 2005.

1. lmao can foreigner own land in aruba? i'd e scared shitless being foreign the police would hassel you for bribes constantly. i assure you the reliaility of the connection will be suspect at best from there

#11     Jul 9, 2005
  2. Papimanto, Dutch, English and Spanish are mandatory for anyone who has been through their school system. Dutch, English and Spanish are spoken fluently by all locals although Papimento is the official native language. It sounds like the above + Portuguese.

Anyone who has the right to visit Aruba may buy land there.
    The local judicial system and infrastructure are Dutch.
    The likelihood of being coerced by authorities for bribes is less likely there than in Holland.

It's a very civilized place. I have the impression most of the people I met were better educated and more worldly than the average ET poster.

As far as the reliability of the connectivity there, I have no formal answer yet.

#12     Jul 9, 2005
  3. taigong

taigong

Thanks very much, mercurial!

#13     Jul 10, 2005
  4. It's a nice place... I can recommend places to stay if you ever want to visit.

I made a mistake in the last post, the official language is Dutch (legal system, schools etc) although Papiamento is the native language.

English is all I ever spoke while there and I always found that the locals and I were able to communicate very easily.

#14     Jul 11, 2005
  5. I hope it's ok to keep bumping this periodically...
    :)

#15     Jul 12, 2005
  6. Mvic

Mvic

I am months away from buying a place in the Caymans and having never been to Aruba wondered how it stacked up? Caymans is very safe, drivers are considerate and don't drive very fast, good restaurants and grocery stores etc. friendliest people in the Caribean and many British there. Relatively cheap too, $1.5M will get you a nice upscale ocean front villa with 3 bed and 3 bath and pool where you can stay without being in fear for your life (like in Jamiaca, possibly the worst place in the Caribe, infact many Caymanians are people who have fled the crime, violence, and poverty of Jamaica).

Anybody who has been to both places I would be very interested to hear your impressions.

#16     Jul 19, 2005
  7. Is this place your purchasing in the Caymans a vacation place or are you moving there for good?

#17     Jul 19, 2005
  8. Mvic

Mvic

Vacation villa but plan to spend Jan-April down there (a couple of trips back home and lots of sailing and scuba). As much as I enjoy the Island life in brief doses it really takes a certain type of personality to be able to live on island for long periods of time. I tried renting a place about 10 years ago for 6 months and while it was idyllic I ended up staying for 2.

#18     Jul 19, 2005
  9. Sounds great..good luck with it!

#19     Jul 19, 2005
  10. Mvic

Mvic

Thanks, just hope that they don't get hit by a hurricane his season (almost got hit by Emily, the devastation from the one that hit them last year was incredible and why prices are still so affordable at the moment).

#20     Jul 19, 2005