Anyone here pass Level I of the CFA Exam?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bwolinsky, Aug 3, 2008.

1. RhinoGG

RhinoGG Guest

I'll take freedom for 150, Alex.

#41     Aug 7, 2008
  2. 50_Bip

50_Bip

LOL! Good one..

#42     Aug 7, 2008
  3. Do people here really think the minimum salary for CFAs is 120k?

#43     Aug 8, 2008
  4. Absolutely not. I would put it in the ballpark of 70-75k for the minimum.

#44     Aug 8, 2008
  5. Maybe for a total piker..

I have a bachelor's and 1 yr work experience and get more then that for my base.

Even 120K sounds low for a charterholder.. with the minimum 4 years experience.

#45     Aug 8, 2008

6. Possibly, but you should realize the vast majority of CFA's live outside of Manhattan. Take a CFA in, say Texas or Colorado for example, where cost of living is at least half of what it is in NYC. All else held equal (including employer, qualifications, job title, AUM, etc...) and I'd argue their salary is going to be notably less.

#46     Aug 8, 2008
  7. Nattdog

Nattdog

have to distinguish between passing the exams and actually being a "charterholder" which requires 4 years of relevant work experience. the high average salary is not just the exams but the fact that most charterholders have many years of experience. Just passing the exams with little if any valuable work experience will be a foot in the door perhaps, but typically one needs the experience and track record to command larger compensation.

#47     Aug 8, 2008
  8. Bob O

Bob O

If anyone wants to sell his or her books, let me know. Did anyone buy the mta's high priced flash cards or videos? Are they worth it?

#48     Aug 9, 2008
  9. The book is part of the registration package. I also have the schweser study notes from my friend, and they are more or less the same as the summary from the textbook.

#49     Aug 15, 2008
  10. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Well, you are obviously a complete piker if you think $70-75k is any sort of real money. These days, making under $100k is a total joke. It's all about how you sell yourself and what opportunities you make for yourself. If you are content to get the Charter and do compliance and back office shit, you will make that $75k a year. On the other hand, if you grow a pair and make shit happen, you can EASILY make $150k+ as a Charterholder in any part of the country.

Something tells me that you don't have the CFA charter, so keep flipping burgers and maybe one day you will make that elusive $70-75k.

#50     Aug 16, 2008