Anyone here pass Level I of the CFA Exam?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bwolinsky, Aug 3, 2008.

1. This system is for sale to interested parties. I have met with other institutions that have expressed interest, but will allow me to post signals for people to see so that they may make an informed decision.

$8,500,000 is the price tag for the chartscript in wealth-lab for both the QID/QLD and the SDS/SSO versions.

To understand this model, please see the forum for the backtest through the end of 2007.

Oh! To be young and still want to blow some smoke up someone's ars for only $8,500,000

#11     Aug 3, 2008
  2. Y I have taken the exams myself. Studied a ton but was lucky enough to pass all of them. Some of the material is definitely not as useful as I would like for it to be, but all in its definitely good to have. I viewed it as an insurance policy.

However, whomever thinks its a guarantee that with the CFA designation your minimum take home is at least 120k is dead wrong. Maybe a few years ago but with the banks and hedgies laying people off left and right the only thing it's for is to most likely help get you through the door.

But hey, finance is an uber competitive field so if you can pass even the first level and get yourself one leg up on the next guy/gal then you definitely should.

My two cents. Good luck studying - this was the first spring in a couple years I hadn't had to study.

#12     Aug 3, 2008
  3. contrary

contrary

My cousin passed Level I, on her second try. She took Level II this summer and is awaiting the results.

She doesn't care about trading, and just analyzes stocks for mutual funds, I think.

She did buy MER at $44, because she thought it couldn't possibly go any lower than 50% down. Then when MER dropped to $28, she urged me to buy. Of course it hit $22 a week or so after that, LOL.

#13     Aug 3, 2008
  4. If I gave you the impression that I thought it'd be easy, I guess I'm not speaking clearly enough. I definitely think it'll be a challenge. I got from the Level III candidates in Kansas City that it was what I interpreted to be standardized dissertation defense in essay format.

On the job, for sure, I'm going for that solid 300k ish.

#14     Aug 3, 2008
  5. And that would put her around where the average analyst is.

#15     Aug 3, 2008
  6. You're welcome to watch over the next several years. To the best of my knowledge I've not heard any other hedge fund with that record from 3/20/07.

#16     Aug 3, 2008
  7. Marco911

Marco911

I finished L3 a few years ago and I'm thinking of quitting my job working in the industry.

The CFA does not help you to be a day trader for profits although it can prepare you for a lot of typical investment strategies.

I've taken many different licensing tests and exams and the CFA L1 and L2 exams were extremely difficult.

L3 Isn't as bad because there is an open ended portion plus by the time you get to L3 you should have an idea of what you're doing.

While you can get a decent paying job as a portfolio manager I ended up making more money as a mutual fund wholesaler.

I've been paper trading for 6 months and started doing the real thing for 3 months.

I am making a consistent $3,000-$5,000 daily so there is no appeal for me to continue working if I can be making a huge sum of money trading.

I'm all too aware of the pitfalls that can catch out the amateurs and I myself am worried.

I essentially scalp trade and use a 5-1 margin.

Anyways, getting side tracked. The CFA is a great course if you enjoy mental gymnastics. It's also a great tool if you want to be a portfolio manager.

If you want to do anything else, I think it's probably the biggest waste of time you will ever spend.

#17     Aug 5, 2008
  8. CFA minimum salary of 120k - notta chance! WAY LESS!

#18     Aug 5, 2008
  9. duffman

duffman

Finished this thing last year. Hold charter now. Walked out half way through the afternoon-you either know the answer on the mult choice or you don't. Did get a bump at work for passing it. So glad to be done with it.

#19     Aug 5, 2008
  10. kev1

kev1

I'm taking the level 1 in December. I just recently graduated in May with my BSBA in Finance and a minor in economics. I've been studying the curriculum since mid-March, so I've still got a bit of time to refresh on everything again.

I'll be taking it in D.C.
    Anybody else taking it in Dec, and if so, where at?

#20     Aug 5, 2008